Unsure what's on bettas face

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I apologize in advance, I'm having an awful time getting pictures because my fish is very camera shy and freaks out when he sees the phone.

I'm not really sure what it is yet, but I believe there's something on my bettas face? I thought it might be ick at first but it was not strictly round, and then he turned and I realized it was stringy and looked like it had collected dust? As if he swam through a cobweb or something. I'll keep trying to get pics. I thought it might be flukes but I've only seen it on his face, and they're held closer to his body

Basically I don't know what might be on his face or how to identify it. I was wondering if there's a general treatment I could use in case it is something bad, but that won't hurt him in case it isn't? I'm going to do a water change today just in case and keep an eye on it.

Dose it look like this but on its head
9368DC41-ED1C-4E43-ACAD-C42B352CC213.jpeg

Dose it look like this but on its headView attachment 105938
He's had cases few and far between that look a little similar to that, like he has an odd scale falling off, but never anything that looks just like that. I think this would only be the second time I've noticed something like it, possibly the third

His face is mostly clear now so I assume he scraped it off, but he has one spot still on his gill I'm trying to identify as either coloring or something else.

Are there any definitive ways to identify ick? Is it common for betta scales to come loose every once in a while?

ICH or ICK looks like salt was sprinkled on the fish and will always or usually be on whole body of the fish.
I'm unsure how it looks, but wait for @Colin_T .
And if by any chance you could make a video or a picture of the betta, that would help very much.

ICH or ICK looks like salt was sprinkled on the fish and will always or usually be on whole body of the fish.
I'm unsure how it looks, but wait for @Colin_T .
And if by any chance you could make a video or a picture of the betta, that would help very much.
Ah it's definitely not sprinkling. He has one very vivid white spot on the end of his tail (present for like a week or less, I think it's coloring coming in) and this one on his gill is faded and alone. He also has symmetrical jags on either long pectoral fin but I believe that's just shape

Ah it's definitely not sprinkling. He has one very vivid white spot on the end of his tail (present for like a week or less, I think it's coloring coming in) and this one on his gill is faded and alone. He also has symmetrical jags on either long pectoral fin but I believe that's just shape
I'm really, like really bad at fish diseases, but there is a werewolf ( @Colin_T ) that will know and help for sure ;)

No worries! I was hesitant to ask about it without a good picture, so hopefully I'm just being an over dramatic fish parent again :D
The only treatment that will help things but not hurt is lots of water changes and maybe a little salt if you know the issue :)

Most reactions

Back