Unobtrusive Tank Heater?

veryanya

Reaction score
Hello! We got my grandma a new Betta fish, and we named him Julien. He is very cute, a very deep blue color.

However we got one of those "packages" at Wal Mart where the fish is in the smallish vase with a real plant inside. After browsing online a little I found out that A) he probably needs a bigger tank and B) he needs temperature closer to 70 while my grandparents keep their house temp. closer to 65.
I think I will be buying one of those "old fashioned" looking glass bowl tanks for him. I already got some nice smooth stones to go in it.

My problem is I need a tank heater I think. The water right now is slightly below what it needs to be. I would like one that is unobrusive, maybe something wireless powered by batteries that can float inside or sit at the bottom inside, or something that the tank rests on on top of while it is on the table. Is anything like this possible? I went to WalMart and Petsmart and they had these thick black things attached to cords. Also, the tank would probably be very small, smaller than 2 gal.

Any advice?

Thank you!

A small 25 watt heater should do the trick, but make sure the tank is between 2 and 3 gallons for this, 1 gallon is too small. These will be either submersible or hang-on, but either way it won't be cordless as I don't think those exist. Also, be sure that the heater has an adjustable setting, not one of those "preset" ones from Walmart or something like that. SO a slightly bigger tank and a 25 watt heater will do the job just fine. :good:

A small 25 watt heater should do the trick, but make sure the tank is between 2 and 3 gallons for this, 1 gallon is too small. These will be either submersible or hang-on, but either way it won't be cordless as I don't think those exist. Also, be sure that the heater has an adjustable setting, not one of those "preset" ones from Walmart or something like that. SO a slightly bigger tank and a 25 watt heater will do the job just fine. :good:

I've had to use a 2.5 gal bowl as a hospital tank and the the trouble with the shape is that the heater doesn't fit right at the lip of the bowl. I would look for a something with flat sides. they have 2.5 gal glass tanks at petco

How about getting a nice little 3 gallon hex tank. It's small and a small 25watt heater wouldn't be bad in it at all.
It would also leave more room for decoration inside of the tank. Like a few live aquatic plants and such.

As has been mentioned already.. just make sure the heater has some kind of knob or something on it that lets you adjust the temp. And also make sure to test the heater before you use it. Just plop it into the tank for a bit (without the fish in it), set it to the temp you want and keep an eye on the temp it's keeping the water. Make sure that it's going off and coming on properly etc etc etc. Sometimes you'll come across a defective one and you'll want to find that out beforehand.

Walmart sells a small pre-set heater for aquariums from 2 to 5 gallons. It's submersible, and only around $7. Also comes with a suction cup to stick onto the sides.

Good luck. I've never heard of a wireless heater though...likely you will have to go the cord route.

you could try using a reptile heat mat, that would sit on the table underneath the tank and heat it that way.

Hydor sell a flat shaped 7.5w heater which can be burried under any gravel or left in the tank. You could also consider a small reptile heat mat. I added one of these to a little tank last night and its working a treat.

you could try using a reptile heat mat, that would sit on the table underneath the tank and heat it that way.
that was my first thought, it would mean the water was hot at the bottom and cooler at the top. not sure if it would work. and i cant find one with a water proof thermo probe.

that was my first thought, it would mean the water was hot at the bottom and cooler at the top. not sure if it would work. and i cant find one with a water proof thermo probe.
warmth rises, so the warm water at the base would create currents in the water where the cooler water would sink and the warmer water rise, and should heat the whole tank. not sure about the thermo probe bit, i'm afraid.

warmth rises, so the warm water at the base would create currents in the water where the cooler water would sink and the warmer water rise, and should heat the whole tank. not sure about the thermo probe bit, i'm afraid.
yeh i guessed that would happen, but the water would still be way hotter at the bottom than top, or an i missing something?
the probe is to put in the tank, it allows you to measure the water temp, not the heat of the tank. shame the tank is so small, or a external heater would have been just the job.

Hydor sell a flat shaped 7.5w heater which can be burried under any gravel or left in the tank. You could also consider a small reptile heat mat. I added one of these to a little tank last night and its working a treat.

I used one of these in a small temporary tank when my betta was staying at my boyfriend's (due to pesticides being used at my house).
I didn't find it very effective. It only raised the temperature by a degree or two ©. Better than no heater at all, but the best thing would be to get something a 25W heater with a thermostat. Like other said you'd need a slightly bigger tank for this.

Most reactions

Back