Uninvited Guest

world_wide_wilson

Reaction score
In the last few months a furry growth has appeared in my tank, I've attached pics in the hopes that someone can id this for me and suggest a cure. It started as green clumps of finger/hair-like projections, less than 1cm long, first from rocks then from plant leaves.

It's starting to look quite unsightly as it's takes over and is clearly bad for some of the plants.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 20
I'm pretty sure it's not green hair algae as the strands aren't that long. From pics on the internet it may be brush algae. Apparently quite difficult to get rid of.

I'm not particularly bothered about it on the rocks, but don't like the way it's smothering some of the plants.

yeah, looks like BBA to me. I had this problem a while back, it ruined a couple of my plants. I was told to up the flow of the filter, cut the lighting to 8 hours and it did disappear. I did have to throw a couple of plants out though.

Ok, cheers, I'll (grudgingly!) cut down the lighting to 8hrs. I bought 3 flying foxes today that a local place said might eat it. They don't seem too interested so far but they're quite interesting fish anyway. At least these are better than chemical cures.

Ok, cheers, I'll (grudgingly!) cut down the lighting to 8hrs. I bought 3 flying foxes today that a local place said might eat it. They don't seem too interested so far but they're quite interesting fish anyway. At least these are better than chemical cures.

Flying foxes wont eat hair algae, not once they mature anyhow, you should try and get some siamese algae eaters, almost identical fish which does eat hair algae. I have combated hair algae in the past with Flourish Excel 3 x overdose with no ill affects to my fish or shrimp. It did melt my vallis though!

doh! They do seem to be enjoying the other algae, indeed. Back to the shop I go for some siamese algae eaters...

Most reactions

Back