Unhardy Microrasboras?

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
Don't know what it is with these Zebra micros. I originally bought 12 in August and found one after a month with a white tumor like growth just in front of its anus. A Cory died the very same day.

Since that occurrence another one has had a tumour like growth in the same place and promptly died, I have found the carcass of one also and as far as I can see (it is very hard to count these as they hide deep in the stems) I can only count 6.

Now today there is one (that looks healthy and colourful) gasping away at the water surface. I though about my recent CO2 increase that maybe it was too high but then why are the corys quite happy on the substrate, the other micros still happy in their stems (near the substrate) and shrimp acting normal?

Are these fish more susceptible to disease/bacteria etc than others?

Don't think I will buy them again once they are all gone.

AC

Don't know what it is with these Zebra micros. I originally bought 12 in August and found one after a month with a white tumor like growth just in front of its anus. A Cory died the very same day.

Since that occurrence another one has had a tumour like growth in the same place and promptly died, I have found the carcass of one also and as far as I can see (it is very hard to count these as they hide deep in the stems) I can only count 6.

Now today there is one (that looks healthy and colourful) gasping away at the water surface. I though about my recent CO2 increase that maybe it was too high but then why are the corys quite happy on the substrate, the other micros still happy in their stems (near the substrate) and shrimp acting normal?

Are these fish more susceptible to disease/bacteria etc than others?

Don't think I will buy them again once they are all gone.

AC

Hi, I keep Boraras maculatus, and have had one or two symptoms that you describe. I realise they are quite different fish however so it could just be coincidence.

The symptoms I have noted are susceptibility to ailments and the gasping at the surface. Looking back at my notes, it seems that my problems may stem from nitrate problems. They seem particularly sensitive to this pollutant, as my Dwarf Puffers (noted for their intolerance of poor water quality) were fine in the same tank, and I was testing for nitrate which stayed at about 10ppm.

I have heard of both these symptoms as a sign of poor water quality.

Another point I would make is that you show a UKAPS banner on your posts. I wonder if you use the dosing of nitrates method with your tanks? Could this be causing a problem with your fish?

I am no expert on either fish health or high-growth planted set ups, so any problems with my theory
and you can feel free to correct me.

I do feel that rapid changes in water quality of any sort are bad for small fish, as fish have to balance any changes by working the kidneys, and small fish have to work harder as their organs are so much smaller than even a fish like a small tetra.

Changes caused by water changes and the dosing of chemicals are by no means unstressful when working with these small creatures either.

One other thing: I have had similar problems with mortality rates when purchasing these fish. I started with 7 almost a year ago to the day. Two died in a fortnight, but the other five are still going strong today. I find when adding to a group, it is best to introduce one or two a fortnight to reduce pressue on the fish to cope with a new upset to the chemical balance of the tank water. New fish should be quarantined anyway, so for a sensible keeper this should present no problems, but be very careful with water changes, small and often seems best.

Hope this helps. All the best from Bill.

Can't see nitrates being a problem as I live in a rural agriculatural area and like most of the UK have probs more than 10ppm of nitrate in the tap water. I don't test water params at all.

I don't do EI where They aim for 10-20ppm of nitrate. I dose to add approx 2ppm a day and the plants should take care of most of it. I also do 10% weekly changes.

Never had a problem with cardinals which were about the same size so maybe its just these small fish.

Water is crystal clear, running a filter with Seachem purigen in it and is incredibly heavily stocked. Like you say most of the group is fine and then 1 or 2 just die for no apparent reason. The one that was gasping is now back at the bottom with the others and looks fine. very strange. He was fully coloured up whilst gasping too?

I'll see how it goes and if they all succumb to the invisible problem then I'll probs get some lampeyes and see how they go.

AC

Can't see nitrates being a problem as I live in a rural agriculatural area and like most of the UK have probs more than 10ppm of nitrate in the tap water. I don't test water params at all.

I didn't mean that your nitrates are excessive, simply that these fish find water quality changes difficult to cope with, due to either what they are used to in the wild or simply because they are such small fish, my feeling is that a bit of both is what it is. I realise I wrote about symptoms of nitrate poisoning, but this was probably a strong term to use for these particular set of circumstances.

You say you never test your water, but doing so could help you find a problem. If you don't mind me saying this, just saying "My water params are probably these" does not make it so, unfortunately. But I hate having to do tests myself, so I can understand how tempting it is.

I hope you don't mind me speaking so frankly, but no offence is meant, I am just trying to help. Heaven knows I have my own set of problems to deal with, probably all of my own making too. Just look at this post as a trouble shooter, I hope you will be able to come back and shoot my theories down in flames. It would probably be instructive for both of us. :good:

All the best from Bill.

Its not through laziness that I don't test. Most planted people and some non planted ones have given up with test kits because of their inaccuracy.

For example: If a test kit showed a certain parameter is too low then they would be chucking more in. If the test kit said the parameter was adequate then they would not put anything in.

This of course can lead us on wild goose chases trying to find out why the plants are running defficient because we are taking the results as wether we need to add or not!!!

As a measure of how inaccurate my AP nitrate one was before I chucked it away.

My macros dose should show a reading in the 1000s of ppm nitrate which is then added in small amounts to the tank making a 2ppm dose into the tank.

The AP test showed 10-20ppm. I would've expected it to at least read the max reading of 100ppm!!!

The only test I have these days is a standard Ph test which I don't use to test the Ph. I use it in my CO2 drop checker. lol

No more casualties this week so I'll keep an eye on them. I think maybe it is due to your theory of their size but I also think it could be small peaks of bacterial blooms that you can get after filter maintenance.

AC

Yes, I don't suppose the chemicals used in test kits are always kept as they are supposed to be, and what's more a trail of several handlers/companies/storage sites leaves you no way of knowing, either. However, for me regular testing pays as general trends and sudden spikes can be picked out this way, as indeed can some false readings.

However, I can see why they would be of little accuracy, and therefore little use to a devoted aquarium gardener such as yourself.

Regarding your point about filter maintenance: I have quite recently replaced some media in my filter, and am planning on doing so again on wednesday, so I will let you know of any negative results.

All the best from Bill. :D

Most reactions

Back