Unhappy Guppies?

maninahat

Reaction score
EDIT - see posts below for updates on situation

Hi there folks.

I have a trio of male guppies which I've been keeping for a few months now. For a while they've seemed happy and active (though one of them would get bullied occasionally). More recently however, they've seemed a little lack lustre. They hang around in the same spots, either at the top of the tank, or resting on the gravel. No other symptoms are apparent.

Is this typical guppy behaviour? Or are they being upset by something?

CONDITIONS:
- 6 gallon planted aquarium (yes, a bit too small)
- 1 or 2 1/3 water changes a week
- pH of 8.0, no traces of ammonia
- Their only tank mates are a pair of Amano shrimp
- No medicines, and only a weekly splash of fertilizer is used
- To reduce the HOB filter current, I use a filter sponge in the outflow.
- no recent deaths or anything like that.

Two things readily spring to mind:
1) What is temperature is the water?
2) Are you using bacteria and a water conditioner when you do water changes? Or are you adding straight tap water?

Also when they're at the top/bottom of the tank are they motionless? (they don't move too much)

1. The temp is a bit higher than usual, due to the hot summer: 26 - 28 degrees C.
2. I use water conditioner on any water I add to the tank. I don't add bacteria.

The fish keep in one place, but flap their pectorals and make tiny movements. They are quick to respond if they see me coming close to the tank (thinking they'll get fed) and will become much more active for a minute or so.

Also, I checked to see if lighting made much of a difference. It doesn't. They're still sluggish with the lights on or off, in natural light or in the dark.

Guppies at 26 to 28C are being stressed. They will do best at around 23C, 73F. Your 8.0 pH is a bit higher than usual for these fish but is well within their tolerance. There is really no reason to restrict the filter flow, guppies work out fine when given a bit of current to use as a need for them to exercise. Your "symptoms" seem quite normal to me for lazy guppies with no real challenges in their environment. Turn that filter flow loose on them and maybe they will show a bit more energy.

I have my filter turned up full whack all the time now 'cause my Fish, including my Guppies, seem to do much better with it up high. They love to swim through and ride the current and also seem to apreciate all the air bubbles it creates.

Update on the situation:

The guppies were still lethargic, even after changing water flow and temperature. I gave it a few more days and returned them to my LFS. Right now, the tank is empty, save for a few amano shrimp. Which leads into my next question - it'll be a while before I can get some new fish to stock the tank - what do I do about bacteria dying off? Is there a way to prevent it from happening? Will I have to re-cycle the tank, with the amano inside?

(NB, I plan to add a betta; just waiting for the store to get some in)

Your shrimp are a biological load. After all you feed them and they produce waste as well as breathing using the oxygen in the water. Don't worry too much about a die off. The bacteria will ease back a bit due to lower biological loads but can recover by almost doubling their numbers in a day. If you increase stocking faster than that, you deserve what you get.

Guppies at 26 to 28C are being stressed. They will do best at around 23C, 73F. Your 8.0 pH is a bit higher than usual for these fish but is well within their tolerance. There is really no reason to restrict the filter flow, guppies work out fine when given a bit of current to use as a need for them to exercise. Your "symptoms" seem quite normal to me for lazy guppies with no real challenges in their environment. Turn that filter flow loose on them and maybe they will show a bit more energy.

I'm curious as to why you say that guppies are stressed at 26-28? Or is this in the particular situation of the original poster? Just wondering as that is around the temperature I have always been told guppies like and where I keep my tank (no signs of stress, lovely active guppies).

At 26 to 28C, guppies are at the very top of the temperatures they can survive. At 30C+ wouldn't you be stressed to survive as a human being? Look at post #3.

Update on the situation:

The guppies were still lethargic, even after changing water flow and temperature. I gave it a few more days and returned them to my LFS. Right now, the tank is empty, save for a few amano shrimp. Which leads into my next question - it'll be a while before I can get some new fish to stock the tank - what do I do about bacteria dying off? Is there a way to prevent it from happening? Will I have to re-cycle the tank, with the amano inside?

(NB, I plan to add a betta; just waiting for the store to get some in)

could you post some pictures, so we can actually see their condition. thanks.

Most reactions

Back