Understanding Api Gh/kh Test

corydoras1

Reaction score
Im a bit confused by my new API GH/KH test. I wonder if you can clarify...

One drop of KH solution, and the water was light yellow. so i sopped the drops
Three drops of GH solution, and the water started being greenish, so i stopped

Does this mean I have 1dKH and 53GH?

If you added the correct number of drops then they should be accurate results, leave the solution 5 mins and then compare with the colour chart provided.

The tests dont work like that, hence my question, no colour charts. They say count the number of drops until the colour changes, then look up the chart.

Oh, Ok my API test tells me to add a certain number of drops to the water i am testing!

API KH and GH tests

Directions for testing KH

1. Rinse clean test tube with water to be tested
2. Fill to line with 5 ml water
3. Add Carbonate Hardness Test Solution, one drop at a time, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops. After first drop is added, solution will turn blue. If the water sample contains only 1 degree dKH, the solution will turn from clear to its yellow endpoint after the first drop is added.
4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after each drop. Keep count of the drops being added.
5. The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turns from blue to bright yellow.
6. Each drop is equal to 1 degree dKH or 17.9 ppm KH.

Directions for testing GH

1. Rinse clean test tube with water to be tested
2. Fill to line with 5 ml water
3. Add General Hardness Test Solution, one drop at a time, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops. After first drop is added, solution will turn orange. If the water sample contains only 1 degree dKH, the solution will turn from clear to its green endpoint after the first drop is added.
4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after each drop. Keep count of the drops being added.
5. The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turns from orange to green.
6. Each drop is equal to 1 degree dGH or 17.9 ppm GH.

Most reactions

Back