Underlying causes of Dropsy

JayLB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20g community tank. In it there are 5 danios, 3 guppies, 2 gourami, a scatter bladder snail and an assassin snail.

Ive lost a danio and a guppy to seemingly dropsy. As soon as I noticed it, I removed them and put them in a hospital tank, of course they passed.

Since then, one of my gourami appears to be coming down with dropsy. I have removed it and placed in a hospital tank. Dropsy isn’t contagious, but there could be underlying illness that comes out with dropsy, that could be contagious. I’ve done huge water change, changed some filter media, and have treated the entire tank with ‘rapid cure’ and salt. Is there anyway to ensure the others dont get whatever is causing this, or am I doomed to lose all my tank?

Tank is 20g.
PH is 7.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Temp is 80 degrees.

Please help me. I dont want to lose anymore.

Dropsy can be caused by bacteria inside of the fish and it can be contagious. I can't and won't recommend any meds as I don't know enough about fish medication to help sorry.

As you say, dropsy itself isn't a disease, and isn't contagious - it's the visible symptoms that the fish's organs are failing, sadly. But if several fish are dying from organ failure, then there's obviously something like a viral or bacterial infection that's spreading and causing the organ failure and losses.

The best thing to do is what you're already doing. Remove any fish showing symptoms of illness. Euthanising is usually the most humane thing to do when it's dropsy and you know there is something spreading and want to save the remaining fish. A viral, parasitic or bacterial infection can be spread or made worse if the remaining fish eat the dead body of the dying fish, so that's one reason for isolating and removing any fish that are showing symptoms, and euthanising if it's progressed to dropsy. You're already doing that.

You aren't doomed to lose them all, but when a disease is spreading and we can't discover whether it's viral or bacterial, or which bacteria it might be, whether gram positive or gram negative etc, and when antibiotics are (rightfully) difficult to get hold of in Canada anyway... throwing in meds without even knowing what you're trying to treat is often a common last ditch attempt to try to save the remaining fish, but often make things worse rather than better.

Trying salt treatment was fine and a natural move, but what was the other product? Link please? The product name is too generic for me to find the one you're using; I only get results for products for humans. Remember that clean, fresh water is the best medicine in almost any situation. It reduces stress, boosts the fish's immune system so they have a better chance of fighting off whatever is ailing them, and when you wipe down the glass, clean the substrate and do water changes, you're also removing a lot of the harmful disease organisms and parasites, so the fish have less bacteria/parasites in the tank to fight off. So, resist the urge to buy snake oil products as a last-ditch effort, since all medicines cause stress on the fish and the body, and can make things worse rather than better, and there are a lot of useless and potentially harmful snake oil products out there.

Anytime you're feeling helpless and hopeless and want to do something to try to save the remaining fish, do a large water change, make sure to only rinse filter media in tank water and not under the tap (I'm concerned that there are zero nitrAtes, is this a new set up? Have you been cleaning filter media under the tap?) and take time to sit and observe the fish. Make notes of any unusual behaviour, markings, white stringy poop from any of them, fin-clamping, symptoms of illness etc. Observing these things may help to discover what is causing the losses, and catch which fish are becoming ill and isolate them before it gets worse, etc. The water changes/tank cleaning and observations are more useful than any snake oil product you can get.

If you can get some clear photos of the tank, the sickly fish, and the remaining fish, that can be helpful! I'm sorry you're going through this, it's rough. :(
So that would be my advice, I'm sorry it isn't more precise! But without lab testing, and none of us are fish vets, we just have to learn what we can, and do the best we can to try to help the remaining fish.

My questions would be: How long has the tank been set up? When were the fish added, and have you added any new ones recently that might have bought in a disease of some kind?

How do you usually clean filter media? Do you replace cartridges or rinse media in tap water? The zero nitrAtes have me wondering about the cycle. A cycling problem/ammonia or nitrite doesn't usually cause dropsy, so not suspecting that really, but if the tank isn't properly cycled yet or is having mini cycles, that would increase stress and leave the fish more vulnerable to other infections.

A request for photos, if possible, please. :)

:)

With dropsy, where you get swelling and pineconing scales, something is causing kidney failure. It could be bacterial, viral or organ failure. It's tough to find the source.

The most common ones for a version that spreads are new arrivals in the tank, carrying a pathogen, or a lack of regular maintenance. Those water changes. Old age is a cause, but not for what you're describing. It can be a secondary result of other diseases (my great grandmother said all the family members who died from the 1918 flu went with dropsy).

Treatment? Luck, really. You're handling it correctly. It could be coincidence that 3 fish have gone down, but that's a stretch. But finding the cause isn't easy.

Dropsy can be caused by bacteria inside of the fish and it can be contagious. I can't and won't recommend any meds as I don't know enough about fish medication to help sorry.
I understand that you don’t want to recommend them. But what do I do in the interim to know who has a bacteria inside them and who doesn’t. As I don’t have a huge hospital tank.

I understand that you don’t want to recommend them. But what do I do in the interim to know who has a bacteria inside them and who doesn’t. As I don’t have a huge hospital tank.
If it were me I would be assuming that most all the fish have it if it's contagious and spreading. It's just best to treat the whole tank in this case in my honest opinion.
Others may have better advice though

If it were me I would be assuming that most all the fish have it if it's contagious and spreading. It's just best to treat the whole tank in this case in my honest opinion.
Others may have better

I treating the entire tank. And am not adding any new fish.

Most reactions

Back