Undergravel/sand

BackToTheFishes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking of using undergravel plates with a gravel tidy laid directly on top with 2 aquaclear 402 powerheads on reverse flow in my 6x2x2 tank which will be fairly heavily planted.I have used this successfully before with fine gravel.I am wondering if anyone else has done similar?And if it would also work with play sand? I dont really want to set it all up and switch it all on to have a sandstorm in there and have to start over! lol
There will also be external filtration,1 or 2 of these http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328521-all-pond-solutions-external-filters/

Just use external filtration and supplement with powerheads. It is not adviseable to use undegravel filter components with planted tanks. Underneath the filter plates are stores for bacteria and the plant roots do not take well to this.

llj

Ok,thanks.I am worried about the sand going anaerobic it happened to me before and I lost half of my fish stock,it dis-heartened me and left the hobby for 10+ years.Are there any tips you can give me to stop this happening again?

Ok,thanks.I am worried about the sand going anaerobic it happened to me before and I lost half of my fish stock,it dis-heartened me and left the hobby for 10+ years.Are there any tips you can give me to stop this happening again?

I have a pretty deep, 2-3" very fine sand bed in my 36g tank. I move my sand around quite a bit, by sticking planting tongs into the sand. Also, the plant roots will themselves move the sand around.

llj

Ah thanks,I was afraid agitating the sand would disturb the roots too much,but now it has come from an expert I am happy.Thank you very much :)

Ah thanks,I was afraid agitating the sand would disturb the roots too much,but now it has come from an expert I am happy.Thank you very much :)

Of course don't go doing it like a wild person, but a little sand moving hurts nothing. I am no expert, but thank you. :)

Just curious,has anyone ever tried one of these on a planted tank?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400w-GROW-LIGHT-KIT-BALLAST-SHADE-AND-BULB-/230469476293?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item35a90d1fc5

Most reactions

Back