Under gravel filters?

fishyme

Reaction score
I have heard both good and bad things about undergravel filters, that they clean all the beneficial bacteria from under the gravel, but also that their quite good and some people swear by them. I have a standard filter, it does a great job, but I've been eyeing up the under gravel filters for a little while, just don't want to spend any money before I asked the experts here.

FishyMe

10 Gallon Tank
3 Red Phantom Tetras
2 Head and tail light tetras
1 common pleko
1 green catfish

Hi fishyme. :)

Personally, I don't like them very much. That's not to say they aren't good tho because for many many years in the beginning of the aquarium hobby that's all that was around and the fish did fine.

With most things, and filters being no exception, it comes down to personal preference.

Sorry not to be more help and point you in a for sure direction but that my opinion.

Others will share theirs and hopefully you'll be able to better decide from the whole. :)

UGF's aren't really good or bad...They by no means clean out the beneficial bacteria under the sand, they provide a place for more of it to grow. However they can be, excuse my language, hell to clean. You need to dismantle the entire tank and aerate the filter. This can be avoided by powering them with a reverse powerhead.

Personally I don't like them. As AttackKoala said, they have to be dismantled at least once a year to clean under them. The gunk tends to fall underneath and it's difficult to get to it to clean it out. Also, some say that they're no good for plants.

I totally agree with the above. I started out with ugf's and it didn't take long for me to realize that they are no good. They don't even compare to hob or canister filters. Everytime I would clean the gravel in my tanks, I would put the end of my siphon hose over the outlet on the ugf's and get a bunch of gunk out of it. Eventually it just kept on getting worse until I decided to rip them out and boy what a mess! There was so much crap floating around in my tanks that I couldn't even see the back of the tank! I had to wait awile for it to settle so I could siphon it out. I would never in a million years suggest a ugf to anyone.

The debate over UGFs will never end :) If anything, they are an excellent and cheap start for a beginner. If you're looking to get your feet wet in keeping fish, it might be the way to go. That way you can get started in the never-ending learning process. Eventually, you'll get to a point where you know what will work best for your systems.

FWIW, I just recently removed the UGF from my 40G and will probably never use one again unless I set up a quicky hospital/quarantine tank.

Devin

Hi fishyme :)

IMHO, if the filter you have is keeping your tank clean and healthy, it's best just to leave it alone. Why mess with success? :dunno:

Save your money to put toward another tank, or buy yourself a special fish. :D Don't waste it on a piece of equipment you don't need. :no:

I like our UFS, however, we did encounter a problem. When fry were introduced into the tank, although we thought they would be big enughf not to be eaten by the platies, they got stuck underneath the filter. only one out of 15 survived the escaped -_- :no: :blink:

UGF are really a pain and IMO they are not even worth debating about in this new millenium. The foam filters are one of the more newer types of filters and do a better job anyday. I have been ready a book on filters and they say the undergravel one of the best and cheapest, pffft...people of the 90's when will you learn... :no: :X :/

Most reactions

Back