Unbelievable!

Tommy Gunnz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, as you can see from my signature, I am keeping a SW tank with a porcupine puffer as the only fish at the moment. Taking into consideration the need for it to chomp on some hard shells and what not, I was told that I could go to the grocery store to buy some shrimp and clams for the little guy to have a go at...so that is what I did.

Unfortunately, the grocery store did not have any small clams, but I did buy a larger, maybe two inches acrooss, Cherry Stone Clam. I swear to you that this clam was in the store's display case and buried directly into ice. I watched with my own eyes, the store employee pick up this clam and put it into a bag for me to buy. I bought it and took it home, set it on the counter top and walked away for over half an hour. After a while of thinking about what to do with the clam, I decided to just plop the sucker in the tank and see if the puffer would be able to open it or if it would just get ignored.

About twenty minutes later I was watching TV which my SW tank is right next to and the damn clam just opened up, stuck its 'foot' out and buried itself in the live sand. It has been well over two weeks now and, you wont believe this, it is still alive and moving around the tank under the sand!!!!!

Here is a video of it:
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/tom...nt=ITSALIVE.flv

You should be able to see it filtering the water and 'spitting' it out which moves the sand!

I cant believe that this clam could not only live out of water for so long, but go from being in ice to my counter to just being plopped into the 80 degree water of my tank! Is this something I just didnt realize or is it a miracle? From what the store clerk explained to me, all the clams they sell are alive and if they were dead, the shell would either open up by itself, or be easy to open.

I have no idea how to take care of this clam and dont know if I should keep it or get rid of it. I have seen a lot of info on other clams that suggest it is actually good for the tank and can filter out some nitrates between water changes, but the only websites or info I can find on the Cherry Stone Clam are recipies on how to cook them up.

If you have any info or ideas for me, I would love to learn more about this clam and/or clams in general!

Muah! Boil it and stick it back in there. Maybe that would take away some of the nutrients but it would sure kill it. If cold ice didnt work than hot water will :devil: :shifty:

I would keep it i myself am thinking of puting some clams,musles or oysters from the store in my sone to be tank.

I will probaly just get all its food from filter feeding.

hahha try breeding them then you can eat the fruits of your labor.

My thinking is that if my puffer lets it live, it should have that privilage considering all it has been through lately! I am more wondering if anyone knows how to care for it or if it is even a good idea to keep it in the tank since it is not the 'normal' clam used or seen in an aquarium. I am still not even sure if this isnt the same species of clam that can be kept in an aquarium but given a different name for sale in a grocery store.

There's not much you can do to care for a sand-dwelling clam in an aquarium I dont think, so I'd just leave it be if you intend to keep it. If it stops moving around thats a good sign its dead, and if it does die, chances are it'll be consumed by bristleworms pretty quick ;)

will be good for your filter feeders when it spawns too, if you have any?

If it does spawn the larvae may attach itself to fish as a stage of it's development this looks like whitespot but only when the fish has hundreds it may be overwhelmed and become stressed, just watch out for it.

This is certainly true for freshwater mussels, so I guess it may apply??

Chef Dugan says warm your skillet over an open flame add white wine shallots, parsley stems then drop the clam and add a touch of pepper. Cover the pan and steam for five minutes. Remove the clam after it is open add butter and chopped parsley to finish the sauce then pour the sauce over the clam and enjoy. Season with S & P to taste!!!

I have always wondered if those lovely clams and mussels could survive the reef enviorment. Correct me if I am wrong though aren't most of these clams including the one living in your aquarium a cold water species. This is a true miracle!!!! Keep up posted....

Alot of people have brought up the cold water issue with me and to be honest, I have no clue. Basically I dont know anything about this clam or any clams for that matter because I bought the thing expecting it to become food instead of a resident in the tank. I also dont know anything because I havent found any good info on thier captive care unless the 'tank' it is in is a frying pan.

The thing is still alive and kicking up some sand every now and then. I think I will just wait it out to see if it can really make it in my tank.

Clams are very hardy compared to oysters or scallops (I wouldn't put oysters or mussels in the tank since it'll most likely go and die on you.). I'd keep them since they'll stir up the sand a bit. As for more info I'd look in to more in the scientific areas "Genus" and "Habitat". At least this way you'll get tollerences and parmeter :good: .

its really pretty cool in my opinion. could you put it higher in the tank so if it does die then you can just lift it out easy without disturbing anything. Id say give it 2 weeks. you never know you could end up with a mutated slatwater clam.

Most reactions

Back