nitrite:<0.3 mg/l
nitrate:1 mg/l
kH:7
gH:13
tank temp: 25C

Live plants DIY co2

2 mollies
1 Pair gouramis
6 cardinal tetra, died 3 days ago (i think due to high nitrites)

Ok I have had the tank for just over 26 days, I was given bad advice from the 'pet shop' but now use an aquatics shop!

Basically my tank has just cycled few days ago the nitrites (spiked) and went really high, up to +4.5mg/l even though I started to change 50% water twice a day, Before that I was changing 15% every day because I wasn`t told about the cycling process (pet shop!!!) any way I have not had to change the water for the past 3 days because the levels have been the same as above.

my female gourami has a sore/ulcer on her head. What is the best course of action?? I dont have a separate tank.
sore.jpg

Is the sore due to the stress caused by the high nitrites or the white algae stuff, What should I do about the white algae stuff its all over the gravel plants and on the glass.

grass.jpg

algae.jpg

Should I add some more fish so that the good bacteria remains in higher levels?

Please help

don

Hi
Tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrites are at 0.0. You have some traces of nitrites (0.3) so I would keep doing water changes until your nitrites are at 0.0 mg/l. Also I would not recommend adding any more fish until your tank is completly cycled. I cant help you with your gurami :( , just be patient and someone more experienced will help you out. Good luck.

That gourami looks in pretty bad shape I'm afraid. Best thing you can do is keep up with the water changes, use melafiz and primafix and put it all down to experience. Don't get anymore fish until your tank has fully cycled and until the gourami is sorted, one way or another. Sorry but the prognosis isn't good, however I had a gourami with a similiar problem adn he recovered so don't think it's completely hopeless.

Good luck!

Oh and I'm not sure about the white stuff, never had it but it doesn't look right, I'd try and remove as much of it as possible. And keep feeding to a bare minimum at the moment.

Most reactions

Back