Ugh Smell

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a cycled 10 gallon tank with 1 betta and 2 mystery snails. I have your run of the mill store bought (clown puke) gravel as the substrate, 3 little live plants. I'm running a "Lee's Triple Flow" corner air-driven filter. Water parameters stay at: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate, pH is 7.4.

I do a 50% water change twice a week (maybe more often than is needed, but it helps with the smell). I vacuum the gravel each time, and I can assure you the gravel is clean. There are no trapped pockets of nasty. I don't overfeed - betta gets 2-3 little pellets in the morning and 1-2 pellets or a dab of frozen brine shrimp in the evening. Snails eat the algae and sometimes a Ken's veggie stick or fresh vegs. None of the plants are rotting. There are no dead creatures in the tank. I have wiped the rim and hood each time I do a water change.

But the tank smells. It's not really sulphur/rotten egg but that's maybe the closest thing I could equate it to. But it's definitely NOT really a sulpher smell - I took a lot of chem classes and have smelled the real deal and it's not that.

You may say it's inadequate filtration from the unorthodox filter, but I had this same problem before I switched filters. I use Eheim lav and filter floss in the filter - which gets swished clean once a month. I have been thinking of putting some carbon in there. I suppose it can't hurt anything. But I know that won't solve the problem, only mask it. Anyone have any ideas? I have another 5G betta/1 snail tank with no smell and another 4G at my work with a betta and a nerite with also no smell. I don't do anything different in the smelly tank than the non-ones. The only actual difference is that I have Caribsea pebbles as substrate in the 2 non-smellers instead of colored gravel. I use the same filter media in all 3 tanks, same cleaning schedule, same food and feeding regimen. I have no problem with switching out the gravel if necessary, but I don't know how that could be the problem.

You could add a bit of melafix - it's actually just teatree oil, so it will make the tank smell nice. Just be careful and you should probably half the dose because you have a betta. Melafix isn't good for those type of fish, I advise doing a lot of research on using melafix with bettas before actually putting any in your tank. Be careful and think it through, I don't want you to harm your betta!

However, this will mask the smell but I'm afraid I can't tell you what's causing it, and you really better find out! Anyway, good luck & I hope you get it sorted.

Please don't add Melafix. It's not only very bad for bettas, but it's also like spraying air freshener over a corpse! You need to find the root of the problem.

I'm afraid it does sound like you might be overfeeding. How big are the pellets, compared to the fish's eye?

Yeah I'm not going to add melafix. I'm trying to find what's causing it.

I have the Omega One micro pellets, so they are .5 mm. Most things I've read recommend feeding 1-2 regular sized pellets twice a day, so I've been doubling that since the pellets are half size. Too much? I can certainly cut back and see if it helps!

Most fish need a daily amount of food that's roughly the size of their eye (as that's how big their stomach is).

I would also suggest you do a 'deep clean' of your tank; that's take all the decor out and clean the substrate thoroughly. You might have to refill the tank more than once to do that, so make sure you've got enough dechlorinater before you start!

Most reactions

Back