UGF alternative for 10G

willywinki

Reaction score
I got my first tank before xmas. I've been fishless cycling for 4 weeks and all the levels look good :D

It's a 10 gallon with a UGF, I now know from reading some posts this is not a great filter option with uneven surface, plants, rocks :( .....and i'd like all these. I'm going to change it before I get my fishy friends as I don't want to disturb after they have settled. I figure I can use the same pump but what filter should I get?

Will changing the filter mess up my cycle?

What fish would you recommend I get first. I know I should only add one at a time but if my tank is cycling Ok can I get two straightaway?

Thanks very much

PS. The articles in fishless cycling were a great help and stopped me from diving straight and probably murdering innocent fishes, :thumbs: thx

i dont think it will be a big problem because you still dont have fishes inside your tank, maybe a Hang on back filter is the answer since its a small tank :) personally i dont like internal filters but its just me :) and if your gonna go planted you need to make the most out of the space on top of your tank :)

so its up to you :) a hang on back filter or a small internal filter

canister filters are also good but expensive for a 10 gal IMO, ;)

Thanks Kenneth

I've had a look through some of the filter posts and think i'm gonna go for an external. What makes are best though, bit worried bout leaks and having water everywhere 'cept in the tank :sad:

Heard that Eheims are good but all external one's i've found are for much bigger tanks, smallest was for 65G!

Seen a few 2nd hand Fluval 204's for £15-20, but worried they'll be too big for my ickle tank and would make current too strong? Bargain price tho :unsure:

Hey, why don't you try a Penguin Mini, the smallest AquaClear or a Whisper 10. Penguin is probably (lots of opinions on this) the best. Whisper is cheap, dirt cheap, both to operate and to purchase and it does a decent job. Just don't put the carbon in the bio-bag and you can use the bio-bag for a long time (anybody get over a year out of one) as long as you rinse it in a bucket of tank water (from when you do your partial water changes) once in a while. Actually, all three filters are pretty inexpensive and will do a fine job on a 10 gallon. Penguin has the bio-wheel which provides superior biofiltration. AquaClear is the best for mechanical filtration and it is easy to customize the filter media.

I use an aquatech 5-15 in my CO2-enriched 2.6 wpg 10 gallon tank. To prevent splashing (and therefore loss of CO2), I use a hose to siphon water out of the filter; making it function the same way as a canister filter.

Taking out the UG plate will affect your cycling. The UG works by building the biological bed in the gravel. Since there will no longer be an appreciable flow through the gravel, the bacteria there will not recieve Oxygen or the nitrogenous wastes they metabolise. You will need to cycle again, although the time taken will be shorter as the tank already contains bacteria.

Not all of the bacteria live in the filter. Just about every surface in the tank holds a coating.

Which filter to get tends to depend on what is available where you live.

I checked out the Whisper/aquaclear and they all seem to be used With a filter not as a filter?? Couldn't the Penguin's anywhere.

Thanks for the advice on the cyling, looks like i'll have to wait a bit longer for me fish :sad: :sad:

I live in the UK and have a Clear-Jet filter. Have a look for those, or maybe Fluval? Also Eheim have just brought out their "Aquaball" internal filters which start at a small size and can be "added to" if you ever upgrade your tank to a bigger one.

You might have been looking at powerheads rather than filters. I didn't realize you were in the UK. I'm not sure if Marineland products (Penguin & Emperor) are available there.

>>> I'm not sure if Marineland products

I e-mailed Marineland a while ago. They sent me their European distributors details. When I contacted them, they told me they didn't sell the Emporers and Penguins as there was no demand in Europe.

As you seem to be UK side, check out the mail order section at Ultimate.

Must say thanx to evryone for all your help :thumbs:

Found an Eheim Classic 2213 for £36 including P&P from Germany.

Only thing is it's gonna come with a 2 pin plug (well it says 230V/8W on the spec) i think. Probably gonna sound stupid Q but can you put UK plug on it or should i just use a transformer???? :stupid:

Would have liked a 2211 but can't find one??

The Eheim Classic range are superb units, I have a large number of them. A bit overkill for your tank, but you'll find it useful when you go bigger.

Yes, you can cut the 2 pin plug off and wire it to Live and Neutral on a UK plug. Europe is "nominally" 220V the UK 240V, the actual voltage drifts up and down with load. Most modern kit is rated "220-240V" anyway. In practice, the difference is not normally significant.

Most reactions

Back