Two Tier Stand

karawr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a two tier stand with someone more qualified than I. Reason being I can't find any nice ones that will fit a 105g on the bottom.

The top shelf holds 29g long (36 x 12 x 16) while the bottom holds a 15g (24 x 12 x 12).

I have an idea of what I want. I'm not much of an engineer so my drawing's not the best but:

stand.png

The idea is to have a 2x4 frame with center support beam in the middle of each shelf. This will also be done on the bottom to avoid the stand buckling out/in.

Then there will be a 3/4" sheet of wood encasing the outside for extra support, and it's also what's being used for the first and second shelf (which will hold the tanks).

Is it overdone, not done enough? I don't know how much structural support I need for two tanks so I thought I should come to you guys. :good:

am i reading this right? there will be two tanks on top of each other? structural it could be done. but how will you access the bottom tank?!?!

What I would do it try find some heavy duty drawer slides from your local hardware store and put in a sliding shelf. You would need to have to also add a brace the opens up to support the weight of your tank so when the shelf is extended the brace runs diagonally across the bottom... i know its sounds like a major thing to do but give it some thought. and good luck.

I have a thread that I put together where I include lots of pictures and some of my thoughts. Although I was building a larger stand than you need, it may give you some ideas and food for thought. The thread is located here. When I followed that link it brought me up in the middle of my thread. I have no idea why.

Most reactions

Back