Two birds, one stone!

benzonar

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone tried combining wine or beer making with supplying CO2 to their tank?

Thinking about this the other day and it should work. Not really sure how much CO2 is produced during the process of making homebrew beer, but then if your plants start to die at least you can console yourself with a few cold ones.

Ive also thought about this...
My only concern are the added flavors/smells that the beer would add....ie hops, different malts, different styles of yeast.... vs just the plain sugar/yeast combo that comes with the co2 setup....
I can tell ya for sure i wouldnt wanna pump the smell that comes offa some lagers into anyones home.... yikes! heh B)

Heres my brewery setup :) Lama Brewery!

Walt said:
[snapback]877664[/snapback]​

You could dose a lot of tanks with CO2 from that :D

You could potentially get rid of the smells via a water filter system surely, same principle as a bong.

Walt said:
Ive also thought about this...
My only concern are the added flavors/smells that the beer would add....ie hops, different malts, different styles of yeast.... vs just the plain sugar/yeast combo that comes with the co2 setup....
I can tell ya for sure i wouldnt wanna pump the smell that comes offa some lagers into anyones home.... yikes! heh B)

[snapback]877664[/snapback]​

Hey thats fantastic Walt, what a great setup, how much do you have brewing at any one time, and what type of beers do you brew?

I dont thinks there much you need to know about co2, thats for sure.

heh... ya.. i get how yeast works anyways... :rolleyes:

I prob brew about 175 gallons a year.... :whistle:
I usually brew 30 gallons at a time every few months, depending on how many friends drop by :kana:
Ive got prob 50 gallons going along at the moment in different states...

I'll brew all different kinds, but my taste leans towards BIG Belgians, like Rochefort10... :flex:

Ill make mead n wine n winecoolers once n awhile as well...
Fun hobby, for sure!

Walt

Walt said:

heh... ya.. i get how yeast works anyways... :rolleyes:

I prob brew about 175 gallons a year.... :whistle:
I usually brew 30 gallons at a time every few months, depending on how many friends drop by :kana:
Ive got prob 50 gallons going along at the moment in different states...

I'll brew all different kinds, but my taste leans towards BIG Belgians, like Rochefort10... :flex:

Ill make mead n wine n winecoolers once n awhile as well...
Fun hobby, for sure!

Walt
[snapback]877793[/snapback]​

ye id say the guys dont mind dropping off at yours for an hour or two, ive brewed wine sucessfully but never beer, could never get it right, allways drank it but it could have been better.

On this topic anyway i believe you can also use champange yeast for diy mixes, apperantly they last longer than bread yeast, i wonder what a diy mix would taste like after a few weeks :D i wonder if there is any alcohol in it?

i would think champagne yeast would run for longer, but not as 'hard' as wine/beer/bread yeast....

While ive never seen a DIY co2 system.. im guessing all youre doing is mixing sugar water with yeast... right?
That would DEFF make alcohol.....
The real test though, is to see who could stomach it.. ;)
Sooo.. who out there is gonna take a drink from the canister after the yeast farts out?
Ill guess if youre using wine yeast, its around 10%-15% abv B)

The real test though, is to see who could stomach it..
Sooo.. who out there is gonna take a drink from the canister after the yeast farts out?

StrontiumDog Holds his hands up. It was me I drank it, used yeast for beer. Problem was it tasted sweet still, not enough yeast in the mix. mmmm maybe next brew :rofl: :D

Most reactions

Back