Turning The Filter Off At Night?

Eminef

Reaction score
Hi..

I've just setup my first tropical fish tank up in my bedroom (Just a small 40L tank), and at night it can get abit noisy as expected, so i was just wondering if its ok to get one of these Automatic Plug Timers to turn the filter and the bubbles off at night for 8 hours so i can get some sleep in peace?

Or is that a big NO NO!!!

It shouldn't be done unless really needed. I would suggest buying a quiter internal filter. If you are running a HOB, Its much risker to turn it off at night. You risk a mini cycle and ammonia build up in tank with any filter. The fluval internal filters are really quite, so thats what I would suggest. You could try runing it on a timer. I would suggest only a few hours off, this gives you time to fall asleep, then the filter turns back on once you are alseep. I do this with my tanks sometimes, but they are all densly planted.......

I wouldn't turn off the filter. Go buy another one that is quiter. The quitest your gonna get is a canister and for your size tank wouldn't cost that much

It's really not a good idea. The filter is designed to be on all the time. Turning it off at night will likely cause a mini-cycle as others are saying. And that is NOT good!

I dont know what your set up is but is it possible to turn the bubbles off and keep the filter running? That should be okay and may make it a bit quieter.

Hi..

I've just setup my first tropical fish tank up in my bedroom (Just a small 40L tank), and at night it can get abit noisy as expected, so i was just wondering if its ok to get one of these Automatic Plug Timers to turn the filter and the bubbles off at night for 8 hours so i can get some sleep in peace?

Or is that a big NO NO!!!

NO it is not ok.
if youre such a light sleeper that a little water movement keeps you up at night, then your best course of action is probably to move the tank out of your room.
your fish need the filter to live. thats like someone not allowing you to breathe for 8 hours because they think you breathe loud. :lol:

If you are running a filter with an eductor to produce bubbles, just remove the bubble tube. Do not turn off the filter for 8 hours a day, it is a very bad idea. If you have an air pump running a stone in the tank, that can be removed and never used. Air stones are mostly for decoration.

if it's a HOB, what about using a splash guard? basically something like a half a large plastic bottle that will stream the water into the tank instead of splashing it

I don't know what type of filter you have, but one of mine (the AC20) can get a little noisy, it seems louder at night, but I suppose that is just because the house in general is quieter. Anyway, I got some of that thin craft foam, you can get it at Walmart for around a dollar or so, and wrapped the motor with it. It is really quiet now, I actually have to check it now and then just to make sure it hasn't stopped working :lol: . Anyway that might help you some, but I don't think turning it off for 8 hours is really a good idea. I do turn mine off during water changes, but that is only for about 10 minutes, but 8 hours would definitely be too long to leave it off for. Your media would probably dry out and you will be back into a cycle situation.

Most reactions

Back