Trying to feed fish Camallanus worms Medication

Sir Guppy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an expansion of my previous thread “Parasites?”
My fish have Camallanus worms.
I have managed to get medication for them, but I am having trouble feeding it to them.
Right now the medication is in a bag with fish flakes.
My fish will eat the fish flakes, but ignore the medication.

I am thinking of trying to create some compact fish food;
Ingredients would be fish flakes, duckweed, maybe some peas and the medication.
Any ideas on how I would do this or any other ideas/thoughts on this?

This is the current medication I am using:
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg

Here's a basic method to create medicated food using Panacur:

Materials:

Panacur: Ensure you have the correct dosage for your fish species and the specific parasite you're targeting.
Fish food: Pellets or flakes are often used.
Binder: This helps the medication adhere to the food. Seachem Focus is a popular choice.
Small container: A petri dish or a small bowl will work.
Measuring tools: A small spoon or measuring cups.

Instructions:

Prepare the binder: Follow the instructions on the binder product to create a slurry.
Add Panacur: Carefully measure the prescribed amount of Panacur and add it to the binder slurry. Stir until well- combined.
Incorporate fish food: Add the fish food to the mixture and stir gently until the food is evenly coated.
Let it set: Allow the medicated food to sit for a few minutes to allow the medication to absorb.
Feed immediately: Offer the medicated food to your fish immediately. Any leftovers should be discarded.

Additional Tips:

Multiple feedings: Depending on the severity of the infection, you may need to administer medicated food multiple times a day for several days.
Observe your fish: Monitor your fish closely for signs of improvement or worsening symptoms.
Water quality: Maintain good water quality throughout the treatment period. Regular water changes can help prevent secondary infections.

Normally you add the medication to the water and let it do its job. The problem with feeding fish medication is you don't know how much each fish needs or how much each one gets. Some fish might eat a lot and others eat none, there's no way to accurately dose each fish, hence the reason you add the medication to the water.

If you want to try mixing the medication into food, use frozen food like brineshrimp or bloodworms and crush the medication into a powder and mix it with the wet food. Then feed all the fish as much as they can eat 3 times a day. Does this once a week for 3-4 weeks.

Do a massive (75-90%) water change and complete gravel clean 24 hours after treating the fish. Clean the filter too.
Make sure any new water is free fo chlorine/ chlormaine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

Back