True Breed?

pinkwillow

Reaction score
Hey guys, i hope you can help me out, i have 12 baby guppies who are gorgeous and about a month old, very lively and on adult food now, starting to get colour (yellow and black) the shop i want to sell them to said they only like true breeds, what does this mean? the mother is a blue tail, black body female and one of the males is red and the other red and black?
any ideas
Thankoo x

I'm not sure what they mean by True Breeds, maybe Purebred? Which is basically imposible in Guppies, as they are all one species and almost every color has been crossed with another one to get where it is. They also usually have Endler mixed in. You'd probably be best off asking them to clarify. :)

thank you for your reply, it was because i tried to get them to buy them off me, but they are tight and wont even though they are in excellent condition. I will ring them tomorrow and try to get around them.
:)

Hi. I imagine they mean that they want fish that breed true. Meaning...if you mate a male to a female, the offspring will all turn out like their parents. Essentially they dont want 'mutt' guppies that are just mixes based on conditions most poeple would have in their homes.

Not to imply that home-bred community tank guppies aren't nice looking or anything, but the shop propbably likes to have a reputation for selling only higher quality (more purebred) guppies. Purebred and true-breeding are pretty similar terms. Purebred fish/dogs/whatever should produce offspring that are VERY similar to the parents. Hope this helps.

-Ian

Most reactions

Back