Trouble Sexing Guppy Fry

Timelordess

Reaction score
Hi,
As some of you may remember, on the 1st of April one of my 2 pregnant guppies had her fry. 8 of the 13 fry survived, which I am sooo pleased with because it's the first time I've ever tried to raise fry.The problem I've got now is, that about 4 of them are the same colour as their mum....but I can't be sure, as I ca't see a gravis spot. Reason being they are jet black from the beginning of where the gravid would be, until they're tail. I'll try to post a pic.

Also....I have just had a new fry, and another is due sometime in the next couple of days (I've seperated males now), but will all the fry be ok in together. I think there will be about 3-4 days between them.

Thanks
Emma xxx

managed to put a pic of the adult female that's black - her babies are the same.... how can I sex them?!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q254/ti...ket/newpics.jpg

You should be able to sex them by their anal/gonpodial fin once they are about 2 months old. Females will have a broad fin and the males a thin pointed one (gonpodium).

it will take longer than 6 weeks for you to be sure, 8-12 weeks they start to devlope more colour on the males, then then gonopodium starts to devlope after that

This should help sex them, but as said normally sexable 7/8 weeks. how old are they?
Platy_sexing.jpg

although they are all born female, males develope at around the time i stated above so unless they are that age or older they will more than likely all still be female

although they are all born female, males develope at around the time i stated above so unless they are that age or older they will more than likely all still be female

They are not actually female before their gonopodium develops- any more than my daughter is male because she hasn't got boobs :lol:

But I recognise the problem, with grey guppies you can often sex them very early from the gravid spot, but if they are black you do have to wait for the gonopodium. I got caught out with a late developer- I moved her from the fry tank into the female tank, where she literally developed overnight, no doubt due to the stimulating company of attractive ladies. Still, no harm was done, I spotted him with his nose touching a female's anus and thought, hang on, that's not female behaviour, so had a closer look and whisked him out before he got to the second part of the programme... :hey:

Most reactions

Back