Triming Plants

marto

Reaction score
G'day everyone!

Just a quick and stupid question!

When triming the plants in a planted tank, is it ok to use normal scissors you would by from a shop?

Eg pick up a new set and keep them only for fish but that wont hurt the water or anything??

Just that triming can be abit annoying without any assitance!

Cheers ppl :)

as long as the scissors are clean its okay.... its best to use a long sharp stainless steel scissor for those hard to reach areas :)

Thanks mate!!!

Yeah ill give it ago with some stainless ones!

anything else i shoudl know about using them?

Is it just like triming outside plants or is there a spiecial way of doing it?

The problem with trimming plants in water is they are always wet, (doh!). A crushed stem etc., is far more likely to rot in a tank then it is on a terrestrial plant which is dry. Thus you want to minimise the damage, so, sharp tools and clean cuts. If you are looking to make cuttings, it is worth letting the cut ends float for a few days to allow the cut end to heal, and maybe new roots to form.

The problem with trimming plants in water is they are always wet, (doh!). A crushed stem etc., is far more likely to rot in a tank then it is on a terrestrial plant which is dry. Thus you want to minimise the damage, so, sharp tools and clean cuts. If you are looking to make cuttings, it is worth letting the cut ends float for a few days to allow the cut end to heal, and maybe new roots to form.

now lettng the cuttings float! that i didn't know ! i learn something new here everyday ! :p

Most reactions

Back