Treatment for neon tetra with cotton mouth

joelfernandes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I’m very new in the hobby and apparently I have a neon tetra with a bad case of cotton mouth. The fish had this for probably about a month but I thought it was just a deformity. I’ve been out on vacation and in one and half week it got really large.

After some research it looks exactly like a cotton mouth issue. I just ordered Melafix and will set up a separate tank to treat the fish.

What’s the best water conditions for a better result? Should it be warmer water like when treating ich? Say, 84F? How about salt? Should it be used together with Melafix?

Any advice?

Attachments

• 35E4CE61-CFB0-48D1-A3DE-A44DB6A810B3.jpeg
    35E4CE61-CFB0-48D1-A3DE-A44DB6A810B3.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 8F5C8514-AEDD-4B05-9784-FB924DDACE8D.jpeg
    8F5C8514-AEDD-4B05-9784-FB924DDACE8D.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 52
It looks like that condition reported on here a couple of years ago, and more people have seen it since then. It seems to be a viral infection of neons, and being a virus it's incurable. The fish lead a normal life until the lump gets so big the fish can no longer eat, and at that point the kindest thing to do is euthanise it.

Here are some threads about this disease

It looks like that condition reported on here a couple of years ago, and more people have seen it since then. It seems to be a viral infection of neons, and being a virus it's incurable. The fish lead a normal life until the lump gets so big the fish can no longer eat, and at that point the kindest thing to do is euthanise it.

Here are some threads about this disease
Agree with that.

Most reactions

Back