Treating Swim Bladder Disease in Bettas

justinwhitening

Reaction score
My betta has recently got swim bladder disease, and I am 90% sure it is because she ate too fast. She tends to eat multiple pieces very fast if I drop more than a few pellets in at one time. My water parameters have been consistent for the past few years now, so I highly doubt it is an issue with her water quality.

I already tried fasting her for three days and giving her a piece of pea on the fourth day. No noticeable signs of improvement, as she just lays in one spot. Her health does not seem to be getting worse at the moment, she just can't stay in the middle and higher levels of the water for long periods of time.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bettas are insect eaters, and they gobble entire bugs, exoskeleton and all. I never fed a Betta a pellet, as I preferred using flake and dried bugs, and I guess they could get blockages from low fibre food, but it's unlikely. For all insect eaters, fibre is really key.
The swim bladders fill from intestinal gas, and any kind of intestinal disruption can cause problems. Usually swim bladder issues are temporary, or from bacterial infections. The latter is sadly usually fatal.
In newly bought Bettas there's often an issue with gut flora. They are raised in antibiotics to speed their growth, and this can cause them serious digestive issues when they switch over to normal, clean water. It's a danger period. Many new aquarists think it's a cycling issue causing the deaths of their new pets, but that's the period when bloating, swim bladder issues and such are most common.
I can't offer a cure. Luck is what we usually need.

Bettas are insect eaters, and they gobble entire bugs, exoskeleton and all. I never fed a Betta a pellet, as I preferred using flake and dried bugs, and I guess they could get blockages from low fibre food, but it's unlikely. For all insect eaters, fibre is really key.
The swim bladders fill from intestinal gas, and any kind of intestinal disruption can cause problems. Usually swim bladder issues are temporary, or from bacterial infections. The latter is sadly usually fatal.
In newly bought Bettas there's often an issue with gut flora. They are raised in antibiotics to speed their growth, and this can cause them serious digestive issues when they switch over to normal, clean water. It's a danger period. Many new aquarists think it's a cycling issue causing the deaths of their new pets, but that's the period when bloating, swim bladder issues and such are most common.
I can't offer a cure. Luck is what we usually need.
Thank you for this information. I have been a betta fish keeper for years now, but this is actually the first occurrence of Swim Bladder Disease I have had in a betta. Never seen this before personally.

Most reactions

Back