Transporting Betta Fish

Jwheat

Reaction score

Hi I'm sorry for posting so many times, I just have so many questions that can't really be answered by any of my college friends as they have not had any fishpet experience, but I've had great information from everyone on the forum. :D

My question this time is: How would you transport a betta fish on a 6 hour car ride? College is ending this week but I am staying for an extra month to take 2 more classes during the month of May and then my mom is driving me back home. Home is roughly 6 hours away from college.
Should I put my fish in a bottle? I'm not sure what to do, I'm worried that he is going to die. I used to put my tadpoles in a bottle when I had to transport them and none of them died, but I'm still not sure about doing that to my fishie...

I especially wouldn't leave him in the car if we were stopping somewhere (he would get overheated).

Thanks so much for helping me. :)

Right, if you have a small tank or a travel type tank (you can get one from a LFS or pet shop), fill it up but not all the way, say 60% and you can transport him that way or you can do it with your now tank/bowl, if it isn't a massive thing.

Others put them in plastic bags, into foam carry boxs with heat packs. Other people use Tupperware boxes.

I wouldn't feed your fish the day you're going, makes it easier on them. Also, you will have to think about the water temp, esp if you're traveling a distance in the cold.

I'd probably use the polybox with fish in bag route. It's important for the fish to have air than water, so have maybe 1/3 water and the rest air, tied up with an elastic band :)

To keep him warm, if you don't want to buy a heat pack (you can get them quite cheap on ebay) you could line the box with thick layers of newspaper and put a couple of water-filled fishbags around him with water that is about the temp of his tank water, or a little higher (30C-ish). I've done this before with moving a fishy and he did quite well. Obv the water won't stay warm all the way through the journey, but it'll keep him warmer for most of it.

Most reactions

Back