Tough Time

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've lost 2 Betta fish within the last month, and I still have to disinfect the infected tanks (3g and 5g, both planted.) I'm stressed about this because I don't want to get another Betta fish for those tanks and have them die because I didn't clean the tank well enough. Im going to take out the remaining shrimp and pest snails out (i don't think I'll be able to find all the pest snails), and fill the tank up the dechlorinated tap water. My tap has chloramine so hoping that it will kill all the bad stuff.
Just looking for advice to see if this is a good plan and support since I am stressed about this and Im worried about my 3 other bettas, even though they are happy.

No advice from me. We haven't had the best luck with bettas in my family; we do everything right as far as we know, but they always seem to live a year or less. Sorry for your losses, though. Bettas feel a bit more like a pet than most fish, as they seem more aware of you and interact with you more. It's tough losing one.

These hard times are tough. The highs and lows of fish keeping. Are your three other Betta in different tanks?

The anxiety is difficult to stomach sometimes I know. You have to stop your mind assuming the worst. It is the anxiety. You are a very good fish keeper. Some things are out of our control.

Thanks you.

No, the bettas are all in different tanks. I really would be stressing out if they were in the same tank!
The worst thing is that I saw a sick Betta at the pet store just now who was either stunted or still a baby and super sad in his 3 inch bowl. I was so tempted to buy him, but I don't have a tank ready and he was 18 dollars.

Do you have any advice on cleaning the tanks? I might take down the 3g, but not the 5g.

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_161009888.jpg
    IMG_20231004_161009888.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 26
What about high dose salt and warm water, or you do you have any fish meds?

I know you like to rescue Betta fish. You can always come back to that, but it might put you under too much pressure now anyway to save that one in the shop. I know it weighs on your mind as you are excellent at fish care and very loving to them

Thank you for the kind words. I worry that he'd be dead, but you are right. I don't think salt would kill the parasite, but I might try it.

Here's the tank. Plants aren't where I want them to be, so I might tear it down.

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_164717653.jpg
    IMG_20231004_164717653.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 30
ive used vinegar, and salt in the past and it worked pretty good. just have to rinse well. heard people mention peroxide on other forums but ive never tried that

Yes I have some java fern and stem plants in the back.

I think the parasite was Mycobacterium, @GaryE said that on another thread. I will try vinegar for cleaning the tank. Can I do a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water?

I think the parasite was Mycobacterium, @GaryE said that on another thread. I will try vinegar for cleaning the tank. Can I do a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water?
i did 75% vinegar but im sure 50 would work too. i looked it up and vinegar is supposed to kill mycobacterium. also those java ferns are beautiful

Have you decided whether or not to tear the tank down?

I have not been a fish keeper for very long, but I'm enthusiastic and do a lot of research.

I find that hydrogen peroxide (as @Jamarrs suggested) is a good option for cleaning and sterilising. Used correctly, it will kill parasites, algae, pathogens, pests etc. You can fully sterilise a tank if you want to. It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

After 24 hours, hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen. No risk of residual contamination, like with other methods.

I have never sterilised a tank, so I don't know too much about that specifically. You could either tear it down, sterilise the components and build it up again. I suppose you could also fill the tank with a peroxide solution, then change the water out. Not technically necessary because of the way peroxide breaks down.
I would be careful with the live plants, and "dip" those the way you would with new plants. You could leave them submerged in a solution for five minutes, then rinse them off.
Very high doses can harm the plant tissue and start to turn the leaves brown. This would be a very high dose though, a plant dip shouldn't harm your plants unless you leave them sitting in a solution for ages.

If I was in your shoes, I would take out the plants and let them sit in a peroxide solution. I would leave them in for 5 minutes, but no longer to avoid any discoloration.
(3% hydrogen peroxide, 2-3ml for one gallon of water.)
Then I would fill the tank with a weaker solution, 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon. Then I'd leave it alone for at least an hour. Technically it's not possible to leave it in the tank for too long because the peroxide will break down into just water and oxygen. With the solution I suggested, your beneficial bacteria should survive just fine.

I'm an anxious person by nature, so I'd probably do a big water change before putting fish back in. If you have aeration and/or organic matter in the tank, then after 24h the hydrogen peroxide will have broken down. So a water change is not technically necessary. If you look at the study I linked below, you can see where they did this with fish in the tanks.

I would advise against using this method with fish in the tank, as certain fish species are allergic and/or will not tolerate the solution. Wait at least 24h or do a big water change.

I got mine in a pharmacy/chemist.

This is all my own research, so keep that in mind. Other more experienced fish keepers may have different opinions or experience with using peroxide :)

Thank you. Im leaning towards tearing it down. I might use the hydrogen peroxide, then dry everything out (except the plants of course) I know I will have to re-cycle, but that's ok. I'd be curious to what @Colin_T days, because he said that dechlorinated tap water would kill anything.

Thank you. Im leaning towards tearing it down. I might use the hydrogen peroxide, then dry everything out (except the plants of course) I know I will have to re-cycle, but that's ok. I'd be curious to what @Colin_T days, because he said that dechlorinated tap water would kill anything.
Sounds good! Drying it out would break down the peroxide even faster.

Do you mean  un-dechlorinated tap water?
If I'm not wrong, dechlorinated tap water is conditioned tap water like you'd use in a water change?

Most reactions

Back