Top Fin Filters?

Meggie :)

Fish Addict
Reaction score
4 years ago I bought a 10 gallon starter kit from petsmart...it came with a top fin filter....I have heard that those aren't good but it has worked just fine for me I think...I am going to buy another 10 gallon and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what filter I should buy? I live in the west part of the us...also, is the top fin filter okay for me to keep using?

As long as it's providing enough current and suction. You will know if it isn't because debris will accumulate on plants and ornaments. Also, you want enough room inside the filter chamber to load it up with sponges, bio-balls and/or filter floss. I would say that you should continue to use it since it's been working for you. If you like the filter, get another one. I personally like the AquaClear filters for smaller tanks. They last forever and they are very easy to clean and maintain.

Well I do get a lot of algae on the decor, I thought that was normal? But I keep it pretty clean whenever I see it start to build up

By debris I meant more along the lines of dusty and dirt like particulate matter. But, too much algae can be a sign of lack of current along with other issues as well. If you can maintain your tank, I think there's no point in buying a new filter just because it may have had some bad reviews. I like to stick with a plan that works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes. :good:

So the carbon filters I use are okay?

I personally don't use carbon. The filter inserts you have, are they the ones that have the carbon built right in to the insert? If yes, you can modify them so that you're not constantly having to replace the inserts. It saves a lot of money and the modification will get you more biological filtration.

You can buy thin sponges(Fluval sells them for their nano tanks). Using your current filter insert as a template, cut the sponge to fit. You can also leave a bit of room at the top to put some ceramic rings which also come in a small size, you just have to shop around. I did this modification for my shrimp tanks because the Marina filter it came with required the use of the filter inserts. It's just a big cash grab IMO.

If you don't want to do this, just keep doing what you're doing. Keep in mind that after about a month that carbon will not be effective anymore and should be replaced.

No matter what kind of filter you get, it's always helpful to overfilter and understock.

What part of the western US are you in? I am from Washington.

Arizona...if it's beet for my fish I can always try to save up a little birthday and Christmas money to buy a better filter for them :blush: I will try to do whatever is best for them :) what would you suggest?

And I always try to keep a small stock to keep it healthy. I currently have 1 female guppy, 2 femAle balloon mollies, 4 ghost shrimp, and 12+ newborn as of like 2 weeks ago guppies that I am moving around as soon as I can sex them :)

I think This is the filter that I have with the fifty gallon...actually I have two and I will be putting in air pumps as well...will that be enough for the tank? If it is these are the ones i have (i wont be home for a few days so idk for sure) they are called dual top fin 60 filter pumps

http://media.photobucket.com/image/top%20fin%20filter/tcarswell_photo/DSC03236.jpg

Arizona...if it's beet for my fish I can always try to save up a little birthday and Christmas money to buy a better filter for them :blush: I will try to do whatever is best for them :) what would you suggest?

And I always try to keep a small stock to keep it healthy. I currently have 1 female guppy, 2 femAle balloon mollies, 4 ghost shrimp, and 12+ newborn as of like 2 weeks ago guppies that I am moving around as soon as I can sex them :)

I think This is the filter that I have with the fifty gallon...actually I have two and I will be putting in air pumps as well...will that be enough for the tank? If it is these are the ones i have (i wont be home for a few days so idk for sure) they are called dual top fin 60 filter pumps

http://media.photobucket.com/image/top%20fin%20filter/tcarswell_photo/DSC03236.jpg

Yes it is ok, and es I know this is a old thread

Most reactions

Back