Top 3 Most Hardy Cory Cats?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I have been having bad luck with Cory cats. I tryed to keep the peppered corys I only have one left who seems fine.I will get 2 more peppered so that will make 3. Then I want 3 or 4 more of a different kind. I was thinking of ordering some Corydoras melanistius "Bluespotted Cory", Pandas or Corydoras trilineatus "Three Lined Cory". I don't know what kind to get.

But what do you think is the most hardy of the corys?

various sturdy cory's about, apart from the proposed panda's lol.... most cory's that you find locally or been sold in general i would consider to be equaly as hardy as the rest but as i say other than a few species which include panda.

Personal preference for me is sterbai, melini, adolfoi, similis, sodalis, metae just to name a few kept all and found to be equaly as harder as the next tbh :)

jen

Hi snowflake311 :)

In the right environment, most corys are sturdy little fellows. If you are having trouble keeping peppered corys, (C. paleatus) which are usually thought of as being pretty hardy, perhaps it would help if you told us something about your tank. Perhaps someone will spot what has gone wrong for you.

What is the temperature? What other fish are in there? Are the ammonia and nitrite readings at 0 and the nitrates low? Is there good water movement at the surface?

Hi snowflake311 :)

In the right environment, most corys are sturdy little fellows. If you are having trouble keeping peppered corys, (C. paleatus) which are usually thought of as being pretty hardy, perhaps it would help if you told us something about your tank. Perhaps someone will spot what has gone wrong for you.

What is the temperature? What other fish are in there? Are the ammonia and nitrite readings at 0 and the nitrates low? Is there good water movement at the surface?

OK

55 gal Planted Lots of rocks some and wood. Here is the tank. I took this photo a few months ago so the plants have filled in a little bit more.
P5220164.jpg

Stocked with
2 blue acara
8 red eye tetras
1 Medusa pleco ( looking for a new home)
1 BN pleco
1 pepper cory who seems to be doing ok. BUT needs some friend. I bought 3 to try out 2 died with in 3 days. This guy has been in for a week.

All are healthy and happy. The blue acara are getting ready to spawn for the 3rd time.

Water is all good
Ph 6.5
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20 nitrates
I do 40% water changes every week sometimes every 5 days. I suck up all the poop off the sand. I was using Some liquid plant frets. I am cutting back on that. I'm going to use the in substrate plant tabs only with a little bit of Excel. See how that goes. I was using Flourish iron and just the basic flourish stuff and excel. I think that is a bit over kill for the type of plants I have.

I bought the corys all from the same place. I wonder if that might be it.
I have sinking food for them Shrimp pellets and algae wafers.

Filter is the Eheim classic 2215 rated for a 93 Gal tank. I have air stones in the tank too.

Please help me figuar out what it could be.

Anything ealse you need to know?

The tank has been up and cycled for 3 months now.

I forgot to add the temp. Was 79F now 75F .For surface movement. It has a ripple but not too much my spray bar is pointed down a bit to add a little curent on the rocks for my plecos. The air bubbles add the surface movement.

Ok I bought 2 more peppered corys for my lonely guy who seems to be ok. Then I bought 3 Schwartz that are 2". I tested the ph of the water they came from and mine. They came from PH 6.4 mine in PH 7.2 . So I am doing the drip method getting them slowly adjusted taking my time since my daughter is with her grandma I don't need to rush it.

These guys came from a different store and were Very active in the tank. The last ones I bought were not active in the tank. So I hope this time it will work out.

Here is 2 of my new fish. One of the new peppered cory thinks he is a schwartz he like to bother them. These guys are much healthier then the others I tried.
P7240596.jpg

Most reactions

Back