Too Much Gravel..?

Mako Man111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my tank (not exactly up to date, but still the same ammount of gravel is in there). Do you think there's too much gravel? Can any problems arrise from having too much gravel in there?

Attachments

• 105_gal_1.JPG
    105_gal_1.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 31
personally i don't think there is too much gravel you really are supposed to have enough too where it keeps plants rooted and rocks and other fun toy things standing upright... thats just my opinion... but you have a beautiful tank and its very large! ... I envy you... lol! just kidding but yeah i think it looks about right

I'd almost say it could use a few more small bags if you wanna do some live plants :good:

I think the tank looks great. Did you buy those rock formations or did you make them yourself? They look reallky nice. How did you make them or were did you buy them? I want some!

I think the tank looks great. Did you buy those rock formations or did you make them yourself? They look reallky nice. How did you make them or were did you buy them? I want some!

They are real rocks bought from a lfs, that I just stacked on top of each other to make caves :) They are pretty secure and nothing is holding them together. :nod:

They are real rocks bought from a lfs, that I just stacked on top of each other to make caves :) They are pretty secure and nothing is holding them together. :nod:

Thay are real nice I think I'm going to pick up a few simialier ones when I go to my lfs. :nod:

It looks fine. :) There aren't any problems caused by having too much gravel. But having too much sand can lead to aenerobic pockets of air forming which, in large quantities can be dangerous. You need to stir the sand every few weeks to stop these pockets forming.

It looks fine. :) There aren't any problems caused by having too much gravel. But having too much sand can lead to aenerobic pockets of air forming which, in large quantities can be dangerous. You need to stir the sand every few weeks to stop these pockets forming.

Will shrimp fix the problemm too? Or do you have to do it... -_-

Will shrimp fix the problemm too? Or do you have to do it... -_-

Shrimp don't really burrow in the substrate, so no, they won't break up the pockets. They're not really a big issue unless you have a big tank with a thick sandy substrate. Every two weeks or whatever, just poke the gravel around a bit and it should release and gases.

Malaysian trumpet snails do dig in the substrate though, they aerate it.

i think it looks great as it is, if anything if it was me id put more in lol :)

nice rock formations look forward to seeing updates :)

It looks fine. There aren't any problems caused by having too much gravel. But having too much sand can lead to aenerobic pockets of air forming which, in large quantities can be dangerous. You need to stir the sand every few weeks to stop these pockets forming.

I did read that anerobic pockets can hold bacteria that will break down nitrates, is this not a good thing?

It looks fine. There aren't any problems caused by having too much gravel. But having too much sand can lead to aenerobic pockets of air forming which, in large quantities can be dangerous. You need to stir the sand every few weeks to stop these pockets forming.

I did read that anerobic pockets can hold bacteria that will break down nitrates, is this not a good thing?

Beneficial bacteria needs oxygen to survive so I don't think it would like aenerobic pockets... it does live on the rest of the sand though. :)

Most reactions

Back