Too Much Filtration Or O2?

King

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just making sure that you cant have TOO MUCH filtration or oxygen. i have a whisper 40i that had mature media in it i wanted to save so i stuck it in my 55gal with the 2 30i filters, wanted to ask and make sure that is ok, its alot of filtration but i cant see why it would be "bad"? also i have a new o2 pump that is cramming bubbles along the whole back of the tank, looks good and i figured it would be good for the water, but can you have TOO MUCH o2 going into it?? i figured i would ask to make sure im not gonna do something stupid lol.

In terms of the filtration question the only things to watch for are:
1) if extra filtration = extra flow some fish don't like too much water current
2) when you put 3 filters in the tank they are each going to do 1/3 of the bio load. This will mean that the bacteria in your 40i will die back to that level - so just something to be aware of when you use it on a new tank; it's not going to be all the filter that it was however it will still have a good colony which will be able to expand rapidly. Similarly when you remove the 40i the two 30i will need to catch up so you will have to keep an eye on the water chemistry.

For the 02 bubbles I don't think that aim bubbles make much difference to the level of o2 in the water (I've picked that impression up from things people have said on this site) so chemically you're making no difference. I assume that the fish will not be bothered by the large number of bubbles (someone will no doubt chip in here if I'm talking rubbish!) so go for it if you like it :)

i didnt figure either would "hurt" anything but wanted to ask everyones opinion :good:

Most reactions

Back