Too many fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dgefroh77

Reaction score
So I am new to keeping fish but I was wondering if I have too many in my tank. I have 1 super red pleco 3 kuhli loaches about 12 neocardina shrimp and 3 guppies. Is h
This too many fish for a 10 gallon? Tank has been cycled and everything has live in there for about 3 weeks. If anybody could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

I am no expert; however, I do know that plecos and kuhli loaches get pretty big. And guppies reproduce like crazy so if your Pleco and kuhlies are small now, they won’t be for too long.

So I am new to keeping fish but I was wondering if I have too many in my tank. I have 1 super red pleco 3 kuhli loaches about 12 neocardina shrimp and 3 guppies. Is h
This too many fish for a 10 gallon? Tank has been cycled and everything has live in there for about 3 weeks. If anybody could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

The biggest stocking problem you have is your super red pleco. They can grow to around 6' inches so ideally need a bigger tank.

kuhli loaches do like company and need to be in a bigger group also really but with your tank size i wouldnt add any more.

Do you know if your guppies are male or female?

The biggest stocking problem you have is your super red pleco. They can grow to around 6' inches so ideally need a bigger tank.

kuhli loaches do like company and need to be in a bigger group also really but with your tank size i wouldnt add any more.

Do you know if your guppies are male or female?
So I only have male guppies and the pleco is very small now. Not even an inch long. I plan on eventually upgrading tanks once it gets big enough. And I have a 100 gallon already I kept a bearded dragon in. After a thorough cleaning I plan to use that as an upgrade. Also read somewhere because kuhli loaches have a small bio load u dont need as big of a tank as people think.

So I only have male guppies and the pleco is very small now. Not even an inch long. I plan on eventually upgrading tanks once it gets big enough. And I have a 100 gallon already I kept a bearded dragon in. After a thorough cleaning I plan to use that as an upgrade. Also read somewhere because kuhli loaches have a small bio load u dont need as big of a tank as people think.
The kuhli loaches would be fine in there IF they were the only fish. The red pleco DEFINITELY would need a bigger tank (I dont think any pleco should be in a 10g). Onto the guppies... Guppies are hardwater fish and all the other fish you have are soft water (as far as I know they are soft water)

That would be amazing to get that tank up and cycling... You could add in a ton more kuhli coaches and maybe another red pleco! (Maybe)

Kuhli loach do have a small bio load but can be shy with too few. Just make sure they have a cave or your tanks well planted for them to feel secure for now.

I wouldnt add anymore fish tho until you can sort your upgrade, then you could up the group of kuhli's and your pleco will have plenty of room in the 100g.

All male guppies are fine but Like @Rocky998 has mentioned they are suited to hardwater unlike your k.loaches. do you know your water hardness at all?

It will help you for future stocking if you can pin your GH down. You can normal find this info from your local water boards website :)

If the loaches and pleco are tiny and are going to be rehomed, it MIGHT be fine
Plecos are poop machines
I would personally just move the pleco and then maybe let the loaches grow out

Kuhli loach do have a small bio load but can be shy with too few. Just make sure they have a cave or your tanks well planted for them to feel secure for now.

I wouldnt add anymore fish tho until you can sort your upgrade, then you could up the group of kuhli's and your pleco will have plenty of room in the 100g.

All male guppies are fine but Like @Rocky998 has mentioned they are suited to hardwater unlike your k.loaches. do you know your water hardness at all?

It will help you for future stocking if you can pin your GH down. You can normal find this info from your local water boards website :)
So the place I bought all fish from were also the breeders and there were bread in normal hard water tank parameters. I was told the used hose water and seachem prime. My shrimp are already having babies so those are fine it looks like. My kuhli loaches come out to scavenge just dont like the sight of anything moving outside their tank. Aka me. Guppies are guppies lol. The red pleco is the obvious boss tho. Bullies everything for first dibs at food. I also have a 20 gallon long I have ready to set up now if I need to. Old gravel rocks and such but i could set that up now. Just cant afford rn to buy what i need for my 100 gallon.

So the place I bought all fish from were also the breeders and there were bread in normal hard water tank parameters. I was told the used hose water and seachem prime. My shrimp are already having babies so those are fine it looks like. My kuhli loaches come out to scavenge just dont like the sight of anything moving outside their tank. Aka me. Guppies are guppies lol. The red pleco is the obvious boss tho. Bullies everything for first dibs at food. I also have a 20 gallon long I have ready to set up now if I need to. Old gravel rocks and s :) uch but i could set that up now. Just cant afford rn to buy what i need for my 100 gallon.
A 20 long would be much better for them so id go ahead and set that up :)

Most reactions

Back