Too Many Fish?

xJennaNiccolex

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with 4 white cloud mountain minnows, 2 pygmy corries, and 1 male betta, but I'm afraid it might be too many fish. They all seem OK so far, but should I take out the pygmy corries or will they all be alright as long as I'm careful about the water quality?

well, youre not extremely over stocked but you do certainly have a lot of fish for such a small set-up. Keeping the water quality of a small tank in check is rather difficult, so this may be a challenge for you. You're set-up is manageable, but it will be tough, and if youre not comfortable with a challenge you may want to lower your fish load.

The problem really is the white cloud mountain minnows they like to be in groups of at least 6 maybe more and they do prefer cooler water 16'C/22'C so they may not be happy in the warmer temperatures :good:

The problem really is the white cloud mountain minnows they like to be in groups of at least 6 maybe more and they do prefer cooler water 16'C/22'C so they may not be happy in the warmer temperatures :good:

Ahh I did read about the 6 thing after I got them.. so far they haven't been losing color or acting overly stressed or anything, would they be if they weren't comfortable in the small school?
Yeah I've been trying to keep it in the lower range for the Betta and the higher range for the WCMMs so the tank is around 77-78F. I haven't had my tank long, but I talked to others who did the same and were successful.

I have a 5 gallon tank with 4 white cloud mountain minnows, 2 pygmy corries, and 1 male betta, but I'm afraid it might be too many fish. They all seem OK so far, but should I take out the pygmy corries or will they all be alright as long as I'm careful about the water quality?

yes, i think you are over stocked!
return all the fish except the betta.

why not try some research prior to your next purchases? which, if you want all these fish is, a 25 gallon tanks and filtration.

Cories also prefer groups of at least 6.

Yeah true, forgot to add about the corie's but the minnow's are more of a problem as they need the slightly different requirements.

Most reactions

Back