Tired of current stock

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Well maybe im not "tired" of the fish in my 20g but I kinda want to move on to something else.
I was thinking 20 Chili rasbora and 10 Otos.
I know its a lot but do you think its doable?
I do large 50% WCs weekly.
Any input is appreciated :)

I think 10 Otos in a 20 gallon would be good but the addition of the Chili rasboras might be somewhat over. The affect on the aquarium by the chili's is what I am unsure about, they are tiny fish and might be OK with the stocking. It would be a tough call. I tend to think of the volume of the fish and how much food they eat. The rasboras shouldn't eat that much, and might not add to the bioload on the tank much. The Otos being larger will add to the bioload more.

I tend to be cautious of stocking, so I would tend to say I wouldn't put those numbers of those fish into a 20 gallon, but that is based more on opinion than hard data, I have never kept the Chili Rasboras.

I think 10 Otos in a 20 gallon would be good but the addition of the Chili rasboras might be somewhat over. The affect on the aquarium by the chili's is what I am unsure about, they are tiny fish and might be OK with the stocking. It would be a tough call. I tend to think of the volume of the fish and how much food they eat. The rasboras shouldn't eat that much, and might not add to the bioload on the tank much. The Otos being larger will add to the bioload more.

I tend to be cautious of stocking, so I would tend to say I wouldn't put those numbers of those fish into a 20 gallon, but that is based more on opinion than hard data, I have never kept the Chili Rasboras.
Thats what I was thinking. They are so small. Aquaadvisor says that I would be 135% stocked. They say it could work if I stay on top of WC's.

Just my point of view but depending on high water changes on a regular basis means if you miss one change it can result in less than ideal conditions pretty quick. Also a 20 gallon is not very large and more likely to suffer rapid degradation of the water quality should something go out of balance. I found that keeping up with water changes in the winter is easy but come summer I am pretty distracted with other activities. I try to change the water in my tanks weekly too, but sometimes it doesn't happen. If you do start a new tank start a journal here so we can watch the progress.

He is talking about a 20g high I believe... Right Connor?
And that's only 24" long...

Not 20+10 ottos...

Yah... Maybe if it was a 20g long...
But the 20g tall seems really small even for just the 20 rasboras. I could see 10-12 of those small rasboras.

Most reactions

Back