Tiny fast moving organisms stopped my breeders from producing fry.

Googler

Reaction score
Approximately 2-3 weeks After adding some water plants with mixed sand pots into my tank I noticed the quantity along the glass and in water. I cleaned regularly and got the numbers down. Now Only the female Hillaries appear to be resting all day only coming up to feed and their body seems slightly bent casing weird swimming. its been two weeks now and no change. should I discard them? they seem so strong tho, antibiotics perhaps? any quick easy ideas.
below are the before and after pictures of one of the breeders before the exposure.

Attachments

• image_123650291.JPG
    image_123650291.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image_50370561.JPG
    image_50370561.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 33
Approximately 2-3 weeks After adding some water plants with mixed sand pots into my tank I noticed the quantity along the glass and in water. I cleaned regularly and got the numbers down.
the quantity of what?

Can you post a video of the fish?
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either end.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------

If the fish are not acting normally, do the following.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Thanks for the response, after renewing my interest to save them, I did another cleaning water and filter change. i found this little worm in my filter in picture below. I believe that my females ate these organisms and are affected. The guppies that were in the tank all the time remain unaffected. yesterday I also introduced some tiny babies in the tank and they are busy foraging. the male swordtail (seen in picture) was also unaffected.
I am considering getting my parameters checked, after a parasite clear or treatment.

Attachments

• image_50368001.JPG
    image_50368001.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image_50379521.JPG
    image_50379521.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image_50381057.JPG
    image_50381057.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 23
I'm thinking larger organisms are the issue. It's a bare tank with two species. Even if they don't always eat their own fry, they do eat the fry of other species. There seem to be no hiding places and a lot of adults in there if you intend to save fry.

Don't add medications unless you know what the problem is. They don't look like they have any external diseases so adding chemicals in an attempt to try and treat them can make problems worse.

The red worm thing is a bloodworm (Chironomid midge larvae). They are eaten by all types of fish and don't cause problems.

The fish are stressed out and this could be from the bare bottom tank, no plants and no picture on the back of the tank. If the aquarium is newly set up, there could be problems with ammonia and nitrite too.

You mention cleaning the filter. How did you do that?

How much water did you change?

I did 75% water change. The fish are not stressed out the conditions were suitable and they produced monthly on time. Could Overcrossing lead to a condition were the fish develop viral infection, I read this somewhere not sure where. If so what are the signs of this and or when is onset. I had these fish app 14 months old.

Most reactions

Back