Tin foils gonna get BIG!!!

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 55gallon (UK don't know what that is in US) tank with 4 tiger barbs, 4 platies, 5 neons (I know there should be more, a couple died recently. the others are fine though) 3 Clown loaches, 1 Plec (I think its a gibbiceps), and 1 Royal Panaque.
My problem is that being the numbnuts that I am, I bought 2 Tinfoil barbs without checking how big they get first!!!! They're about 5" now, but they're going to double that, and then some (I saw a full grown one the other day: WOW!!!!). when they do, My tank is going to be overstocked to say the least.
I check my water every week, and change it once or twice a week. The test readings are always good.
Whats the best thing to do with them? I can't really afford another tank (in money or space!!) and I know I have to get rid one way or another. I really like them though, and will be dissapointed to see them go!!

If you must part with them then i would suggest finding another hobbiest who will give them a good home. Failing that try anLFS with a large display tank that may take them off your hands as a trade or for store credit. Good Luck :)

:kana:
WELL, Guess what? You are not alone, except I went ahead and bought FIVE of them when they were little tiny pretty silver babies and the lfs said oh they will beee perrrr fect with your parrots. YA RIGHT well then i found out about the 13" thing. So far they are doing very well. They are amazing to watch. They are never more than 2 seconds apart, and very fast. and strong!!!! :flex: they are always looking for a door that goes out the corner of the aquarium, but there isnt one there, mine are up on my website. They are going to get big. the only problem with me is that if i took them back to my lfs i knew that they would go into a 10 gallon tank. Good luck its a hard decision, i am keepin mine! hee hee
Angel
Angels Fab Fish

My 4 tinfoil barbs ended up at colchester zoo via a lfs who knew someone who works there, apperently they have a huge display tank with tinfoil barbs so they may be able to help.

BTW in case anyone is wondering i didnt get rid of the tinfoil barbs due to their size but due to their aggressive feeding habbits, by the time they were 10" a piece nothing else in the tank could get a look in on any food and fish that did try to feed were attacked, they had to go when one of them ripped the gill cover off of my largest shovelnose catfish!

:D i have just been given 5 tinfoil barbs by a nieghbour and put them in my 400 ltr
tank ( 35ltr= 7.5 uk gal / 10 us gal ) approx 114 us gal or 85.5 uk gal this is only a guess am i nearly right my calc is broke lol

They are very aggressive when feeding, and when it comes to speed that is usually how it ends up hurting something, they are very fast. Here in the states, nursing homes, dentists offices, and group homes often have big fish tanks too, maybe your lfs cleans or maintains some of those tanks so that you could return them? :huh: Angel
Angels Fab Fish

rvm said:
I have a 55gallon (UK don't know what that is in US) tank with 4 tiger barbs, 4 platies, 5 neons (I know there should be more, a couple died recently. the others are fine though) 3 Clown loaches, 1 Plec (I think its a gibbiceps), and 1 Royal Panaque.
My problem is that being the numbnuts that I am, I bought 2 Tinfoil barbs without checking how big they get first!!!! They're about 5" now, but they're going to double that, and then some (I saw a full grown one the other day: WOW!!!!). when they do, My tank is going to be overstocked to say the least.
I check my water every week, and change it once or twice a week. The test readings are always good.
Whats the best thing to do with them? I can't really afford another tank (in money or space!!) and I know I have to get rid one way or another. I really like them though, and will be dissapointed to see them go!!
:eek: SEND THEM HERE! lol I don't know if that would work or not, but I have the proper sized tank to give them a nice home. They DO get huge....upwards of three feet from snout to tail after about a year of hearty feeding. THey can weigh upwards of 5 pounds if allowed to grow....THey can exceed even the biggest of home aquariums (albeit not as quickly as an oscar might). I have a 250 gallon with oscars and tinfoils now, and two more tinfoils growing up in my 20 gallon long in my apartment. If there were any way I could have them I would LOVE them. :nod:

CFC said:
My 4 tinfoil barbs ended up at colchester zoo via a lfs who knew someone who works there, apperently they have a huge display tank with tinfoil barbs so they may be able to help.

BTW in case anyone is wondering i didnt get rid of the tinfoil barbs due to their size but due to their aggressive feeding habbits, by the time they were 10" a piece nothing else in the tank could get a look in on any food and fish that did try to feed were attacked, they had to go when one of them ripped the gill cover off of my largest shovelnose catfish!
I have never had a problem withe their aggressiveness. They are jumpy however. I feel that my oscars may beat them into submission during feeding time, for when the tinfoils dart for the food, my oscars (recently recovered from Ich) muscle them right out of the way. THe tinfoils, in turn, are too afraid to nip at the oscars even though they are all about the same size. I guess it just depends on tank mates right?

I'd really want to make sure they go to a good home, I live about a 2 minute drive from Maidenhead Aquatics in Aylesbury anyway. They have some big show tanks, but thay all look pretty full right now!!
FishHeads, sounds like you'd be ideal to take them off my hands if only you didn't live in Arizona!!!!!
Ah well, I'll speak to Maidenhead Aquatics, and see what they can arrange.

FishHeads said:
They DO get huge....upwards of three feet from snout to tail after about a year of hearty feeding.
:blink: erm not quite :lol: About 14" is the biggest they grow to and they would be hard pressed to reach full size in a year even if you power fed them 3 times a day.

CFC said:
FishHeads said:
They DO get huge....upwards of three feet from snout to tail after about a year of hearty feeding.
:blink: erm not quite :lol: About 14" is the biggest they grow to and they would be hard pressed to reach full size in a year even if you power fed them 3 times a day.
You're right, I exaggerated a bit.... :lol: The ones I saw at the aquarium in Vegas looked just too big. Seriously around 22 inches...But they get oogly when they are big...lol...I still love them.

CFC said:
one of them ripped the gill cover off of my largest shovelnose catfish!
They over steped the line there :grr: glad to hear they went to a good home.

Went to my LFS today and spoke to them about the Tinfoils. They're gonna take them from me!!! They did offer me a clown knifefish in return though!! :D :D :D

Clown knife fish get larger than the tinfoil barbs!!!!!! Clown knifes can grow to around 4 feet when full grown (though 24" is more likely in captivity), to keep one you need a tank of at least 5x2x2' and prefferably larger.

Most reactions

Back