Time to break up the "Bumbling Brothers" professional wrestling team...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
so I'm not sure if I can keep one of the earth eaters in that tank, or if it will turn it's aggression towards the other residents... it's really strange, that there is not a tattered fin on any of them, yet they battle almost constantly, and at this point, don't fight with anyone else, but they do bounce off of everyone & everything, when they are battling each other... I've not had any luck, even gifting them to the local pet store... thinking if I can leave one in the tank they are in currently, move one to the Bichir / Silver Dollar tank... and 2 of them are going to have to go into holding tanks... I really only have one 10 gallon empty right now ( actually I have a spotted Silver Dollar, I've been growing out, in that tank now, but it's big enough, & used to the food, so it's ready to move in with the other silver dollars )... I'm sure adding 2 into a 10 gallon is a recipe for disaster so I'll have to figure out the 4th one, maybe for real temporary, into the failed scud tank, ( also a 10 gallon )... I actually have 2 cupids coming, that were still in my basket, & didn't notice them, on another order ( they better actually be cupids this time... different supplier, so fingers crossed )

They aren't doing any damage to anyone so why don't you hang onto them and breed them?
They will look pretty good when they mature.

they are starting to get some nice blues & greens on the body, & reds in the tails & fins, and are at about 5-6 inches right now...

I'm taking down the TB tank, in the other room, & buying a new replacement 55 gallon, but my plan was to move the adult Tin Foils out of what has become my Hillstream tank... they aren't bothering anyone, but that tank has gotten crowded... the earth eaters could go in there instead, but different water conditions, I can't do both...

Last edited:
My "recipe" for eartheaters was 20 gallons per fish, with no companions. It could go to 15. A 5 will cause the death of the fish. Putting it in a small tank is a slow way of hitting it with a hammer.

That seller really put you in a bad situation, with no regard for the fate of the fish when he made that substitution.

Moved 2 of the earth eaters randomly 1st caught… looks like maybe the smallest 2… the remaining 2 didn’t kiss and make up… got twice as much turf, and still fighting the same…. May want to try to sex them later any ideas???

A few pictures of the 2 left in the original tank…
IMG_5924.jpeg
IMG_5925.jpeg
IMG_5928.jpeg
IMG_5934.jpeg

Last edited:
hmmm… after about 30 minutes, they are almost civil

… and 30 minutes later, they are back to fighting

Last edited:
A lot less fighting going on this morning… they aren’t hanging together, but with less of them in there, a lot less interactions

The Electric Blue Acaras, can actually display a little… though all 3 are hanging in a tighter group… maybe because the female ( if there is one ) hasn’t made a choice yet… but the males aren’t flashing each other, like the tetras do…

Last edited:
Got one more to catch out of the main tank… I think I have the dominant one, and one of the submissives, unfortunately the submissive seems to have better color, but that could be lighting, as the dominant forces the other up higher in the tank, closer to the lights

Well I’m down to one earth eater in the main tank… I think it is the dominant one ( darker stripe pattern, and maybe a little less color ) doesn’t seem to be bothering anyone, no fighting at feeding time… going to try a pair of Cupids, and a breeding group of apisto’s, and see what happens… there is a lot cover in the tank…

I’m really liking these guys… I think they’ll look great with the electric Acaras
1724380134612.jpeg

… half hour later, and still peaceful

…. Next morning still peaceful, relaxing, no drama… just the way I like it…. It’s really amazing how peaceful the electric blue acaras are… the biggest, a full 5 inches, and no cichlid aggression at all… there are 2 angels in this tank, angels are totally unpredictable, but they are getting along right now…

The earth eater moved to the bichir tank, looks a little nervous, but is eating… the bichir ( at 12 inches ) has been swimming around more lately, with the addition of 2 new fish… both too big to eat, but I think the earth eater senses, that is a predator… bichir is an ambush predator, with poor sight, usually lays half buried in the fine gravel substrate, waiting for food to come it’s way…

The one moved to the holding tank, that had the silver dollar in it previously ( also has a small super red pleco ) seems well adjusted, and ate well last night… the silver dollar has been accepted into the school in the bichir tank…

The one I moved last night didn’t freak out in the other holding tank, so hopefully that one will be fine as well… both 10 gallon holding tanks have seasoned, large for the tank, sized sponge filters…

I still have hope the pet store will eventually come through, with someone who will take the 2 in the holding tanks

Last edited:
Easy to see how an unskilled fish catcher could make a mistake
IMG_5965.jpeg
IMG_5961.jpeg

Earth eater is curious, but no chasing so far
IMG_5967.jpeg

Most reactions

Back