Thoughts on my potential aquascape?

TylerAquatics

Reaction score
Just created what I think will be my hardscape for my 2nd (and hopefully good) planted tank. Was wondering if you guys think it looks good and I also wanted to know what are some good, beginner friendly plants I should use. It's a 40 gallon breeder btw

Attachments

• 20220612_203539.jpg
    20220612_203539.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220612_203547.jpg
    20220612_203547.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 47
the wood is beautiful!
maybe clump them up in the middle?
you can put anubias on the wood, and water lettuce on the top
what substrate will you be using?

Foreground, midground, background. Keep those in mind when aquascaping. You never want one to obstruct another, and you want each of them to be pronounced and independent. What you have going now is looking real good. What kind of hardness do they have in Ohio?

Foreground, midground, background. Keep those in mind when aquascaping. You never want one to obstruct another, and you want each of them to be pronounced and independent. What you have going now is looking real good. What kind of hardness do they have in Ohio?
I'm not sure if I still have some test straps ill find out tomorrow. But if it's too hard then I can use the RO system I have for my saltwater tank

Hornwort grows like a weed and looks pretty cool, I like using it to fill out the back corners of a tank.

Hornwort grows like a weed and looks pretty cool, I like using it to fill out the back corners of a tank.
That looks pretty cool I might get some of that. I might also put a couple pieces of Java Fern on that clump of wood in the front

I love including s.repens or maybe rotala and just keep up with cutting them, that could be neat for you too!

I love including s.repens or maybe rotala and just keep up with cutting them, that could be neat for you too!
S Repens looks really good to put in some areas by the wood but idk if I want it to carpet everywhere but I doubt ittl grow quick without Co2. I'm also maybe thinking of doing Amazon Swords in the back left hand side

S Repens looks really good to put in some areas by the wood but idk if I want it to carpet everywhere but I doubt ittl grow quick without Co2. I'm also maybe thinking of doing Amazon Swords in the back left hand side
Actually I think I might go do a blackwater tank with some floating plants and valessenaria. What's the difference between regular and the jungle version of the plant?

Actually I think I might go do a blackwater tank with some floating plants and valessenaria. What's the difference between regular and the jungle version of the plant?
I would guess jungle version grows taller but I’m not entirely sure. I wanted to grow that one actually as a faux carpet since I don’t do CO2, but it grows too tall too quickly and less bushy like I’d have wanted. So basically I’d have to be trimming weekly or bimonthly and replanting often until I reached the desired coverage. Doable, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t be up for the task. I want some coverage but not an entire carpet - I was thinking of doing it with s.repens - but I need to situate my tank first and get it organized - im in the middle of transfer process this month.

I love the idea of the s.repens and the Amazon sword - that calls for some cool small rocks or something too to outline the base of the Amazon sword maybe? Even if not I think those two plants would suit your hard scape setup - they’d hold their own visually and still give focus on hard scape.

Vallis doesn't do well in blackwater or acid water.

Jungle (giant) Vallis is wider and grows to about 6 foot long.

Narrow Vallis is thinner, grows to about 3-4 feet long and is a better plant for aquariums.

You can also get twisted Vallis and a number of small variegated Vallis.

Most reactions

Back