Those poor Bettas

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I dropped by one of pet chains today. A Canadian regional one, owned by the big kids. I was quickly checking for plants - when I did something I hate doing. I accidentally looked at the Bettas, sitting there in plastic cups with "specially designed betta lids".

I always advise people to never rescue Bettas. Once they get into rough shape, all sorts of communicable diseases can blossom, and every rescue Betta is a spin of Russian roulette if you have other fish at home and don't quarantine for weeks. Trying to save one can kill an entire tank.

But man, I felt sorry for those fish. I can see why people make the mistake of trying to save them. There was one bright eyed, still very healthy male there... it is hard to walk away sometimes when you how badly they're treated. But I had to. I've seen the results of looking at them...

When people rescue bettas, their heart really is in the right place. But unfortunately, it's counter productive. A big box store does not care if the fish is purchased begrudgingly or not. It's the same profit for them. Which is essentially rewarding them for mistreating these poor fish. They make the same money either way and they'll just replace the rescued one with another.
I specifically chose the store I bought my betta from because of their humane display. It can be done and it probably isn't that much of an investment.
We can't save bettas by rescuing them one at a time. But maybe we can save them all by making treating them that way unprofitable.

Last edited:
Isn't it desired ??? Yes, many bettas where rescued and thrived afterwards.

The trick is to make you buy a suffering fish on impulse, then "big pharma" controls your faith, as far as you can pull it... Yeah I felled for that...

Honestly my last experience with a corner store "commercial" betta. not so long ago... Was. Medication half the time... Because I tried to make him, and me as comfortable feeling as possible at the same time, and then enough money spent before it dies anyway...

I'm still unsure why it died... But It was in pristine waters, in and out.

So How is this kind of experience would invite anyone getting one...

I dropped by one of pet chains today. A Canadian regional one, owned by the big kids. I was quickly checking for plants - when I did something I hate doing. I accidentally looked at the Bettas, sitting there in plastic cups with "specially designed betta lids".

I always advise people to never rescue Bettas. Once they get into rough shape, all sorts of communicable diseases can blossom, and every rescue Betta is a spin of Russian roulette if you have other fish at home and don't quarantine for weeks. Trying to save one can kill an entire tank.

But man, I felt sorry for those fish. I can see why people make the mistake of trying to save them. There was one bright eyed, still very healthy male there... it is hard to walk away sometimes when you how badly they're treated. But I had to. I've seen the results of looking at them...
Yes, I learned a long time ago that buying fish from places like Petco or buying a fish that has a visible disease is not worth the hassle. It is not worth the chance of spreading disease to my other fish and tanks or the expensive cost of healing.

I bought one yesterday at Petco and today it looks great.. swimming enthusiastically about her new 5 gallon tank. Looks healthy and happy.

I bought one yesterday at Petco and today it looks great.. swimming enthusiastically about her new 5 gallon tank. Looks healthy and happy.
I was just at a Petco. They had some female bettas in a community tank. I fell in love. I don't have a place for another betta and I don't want to buy bettas from a big box store so I didn't buy her. But still though.

20240713_160630.jpg

20240713_160721.jpg

They looked so much healthier and better than the ones in cups. I realize that males can't be kept the same way. But I really think they would sell more bettas if they had more humane displays that really showed how active and beautiful they can be.

Last edited:
And if whoever gets that second one doesn't name her Betta White, they really dropped the ball.

Most reactions

Back