This Really Upsets Me...

JKooL

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately my betta, JJ, swam off to fish heaven today. He came down with a case of dropsy and I didn't even notice it until 2 days ago. I did what I could to make him comfortable, raised the temperature in the tank, water change, a salt bath, and then added some salt to the tank... But he didn't make it. I've had him for about 6 months, so he didn't live as long as I thought he would.

The thing that upsets me though... I told a friend of mine that my fish died, and I told him I didn't understand why because I always kept the water clean, fed him properly, a 5 gallon tank all to himself with heating and filtration and proper conditioning... I spent over $100 on a $3 fish.

My friend says this to me, "You know, my friend so and so has had a betta for years - she keeps it in a jar and hardly ever changes the water, I told you that all that stuff was a waste of money."

It's hard to convince people that you need to keep Bettas in larger tanks with heating and filtration when it didnt make a difference in my case. :angry:

I'm so sorry that your JJ died. However I think you are wrong in saying the bigger tank and water changes didn't make a difference. It did for his quality of life while he was alive. He may not have lived as long as your friend of a friend's fish, but he certainly enjoyed what life he had.

I'm assuming he was a common petstore VT? Unfortunately many of them aren't as hardy as many people expect because of the mass breeding, their genetic line just isn't closely watched as specialty bettas raised by smaller breeders. I would clean the tank out well, and start with a new one, I'm sure you'll have better luck next time.

And again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Well, unfortunately my betta, JJ, swam off to fish heaven today. He came down with a case of dropsy and I didn't even notice it until 2 days ago. I did what I could to make him comfortable, raised the temperature in the tank, water change, a salt bath, and then added some salt to the tank... But he didn't make it. I've had him for about 6 months, so he didn't live as long as I thought he would.

The thing that upsets me though... I told a friend of mine that my fish died, and I told him I didn't understand why because I always kept the water clean, fed him properly, a 5 gallon tank all to himself with heating and filtration and proper conditioning... I spent over $100 on a $3 fish.

My friend says this to me, "You know, my friend so and so has had a betta for years - she keeps it in a jar and hardly ever changes the water, I told you that all that stuff was a waste of money."

It's hard to convince people that you need to keep Bettas in larger tanks with heating and filtration when it didnt make a difference in my case. :angry:

I am sooooooooooooo sorry to hear of your loss. He wasn't just a $3 fish, he was YOUR fish and you did the right thing which was give him the best care you possibly could all of which he deserved as a pet in captivity. Very responsible pet owners can't always lengthen their pets lives but they sure do make it worth their while to live what time they have with us. He was as lucky to have you as you were to have had him. Again I 'm so sorry...................

I've never owned a betta (but plan on very soon!), but I did keep tropical fish many years ago in my teen years.

In response to what your friend said, I am sure that if one did a study of the health and longevity of betta fish (or any tropical fish for that matter), the results would clearly show any fish kept in a properly kept aquarium live longer, healthier lives. In the case of the betta fish, I think they can also have a long life in small containers but one would have to be religious about water changes, watching for temperature fluctuations, etc.

I am sure that fish, like people, have certain genetic variability towards longer or shorter lifespans, health, etc. It is possible that in the case of your particular betta, he already had some health problems.

This doesn't make your loss any easier but I wanted to lend my support that I truly believe that your approach to betta care placed utmost important on the health and happiness of your fish.

Sorry to hear about your fishy. A woman I work with has had a betta for 18 months and she keeps that in a vase. She hardly ever changes the water but it has outlived a lot of my spoiled bettas, (her phrase not mine) she doesnt even make it flare. I asked her how it was the other day she says doesnt do much now just sits on the bottom. I almost said I would have it from her but she will only get a replacement :no:

Most reactions

Back