This or That?

123justin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 90g tank with a baby oscar and baby jack dempsey.

Anyways, my question is that I've been looking through the catfish index and will most likely get the bristlenose catfish due to the medium size and smaller waste it will produce.

I saw a "butterfly catfish", are these any good?

I'm looking for a catfish that is medium in size (4-8 inches), loves to stick on the glass, produces less waste, and is peaceful.

Any suggestions?

I'm afraid you are absolutely not ever going to find a catfish that loves to stick to the glass :no: Catfish are nocturnal so you will hardly ever see them.
In the 2 years I had my Raphael Catfish I saw it 3 times :
1) when I bought it
2) when I checked a year later to see if I still had it
3) when I decided to catch it and rehome it

Your tank is large enough, so why don't you get some Pictus Catfish- they are absolutely beautiful and very active - though they will never ever stick to glass and will eat anything that can fit in it's mount. But they grow to about 5" or so, and a group will look lovely in any tank large enough.

Bristlenoses are lovely, but most are quite shy (not all, as they have individual characters) and they will mostly hide under a piece of wood.

When you say "butterfly catfish" - do you by any chance mean Hillstream Loach (sitting on a glass a lot of the time" - also know sometimes as a butterfly plec ? If so, the are not catfish and require cool, fast, well-oxygenated water and not ideally suited to a tropical tank.

Or do you mean the L169 (butterfly pleco) ? If so, it's generally shy and you will seldom see it.

Yeah, it's the hillstream loach.

Damn, I really wanted a catfish that would come out during the day and just stick to the glass.

I like the look of a giant catfish stuck to the glass.

common pleco. BIG (12-15") and you cant hid a fish that big. they like to spend a lot of time stuck to the glass. Pictus's are small enough to get almost eaten by an oscar and the spikes would kill the oscar. theres some similiar looking synos though that get pretty ibg.

I totally disagree,a group of pictus could happily hold its own in a tank with an oscar and Jack Dempsy. They are much faster than both these fish and can be fairly agressive if they need to. With no other bottom feeders apart from maybe a plec you could fit 5 or 6 in a 90G (with good filtration).

Ben

bunjiweb said:
I totally disagree,a group of pictus could happily hold its own in a tank with an oscar and Jack Dempsy. They are much faster than both these fish and can be fairly agressive if they need to. With no other bottom feeders apart from maybe a plec you could fit 5 or 6 in a 90G (with good filtration).

Ben
[snapback]859850[/snapback]​
faster isnt always everything. at feeding time they get pretty frenzied and im pretty sure a big oscar could get its mouth around one.

I have a Hillstream Loach in a tropical tank. They like to be in a group of two or three. I didn't know that before so I might get it a couple of friends. They are very small and nice to watch. They are supposed to be coldwater fish but there is very little difference in the temperature of a coldwater tank kept in a heated house and a tropical tank. I am often surprised how tropical tankwater (kept at the correct temperature) feels not all that warm. :) Oh, and they need good aeration of course.

Most reactions

Back