This is what I got so far, am I over looking?

MaddEnemy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have:
125 Gal glass tank with Glass Top
125 wood stand and wood hood "going to stain tomorrow also will the wood hood trap heat and cause the water to heat even more?"
Eheim 2128 Pro 2 Thermo Canister Filter "comes with heater"
Freshwater aquarium Master test kit
Media for filter

Still need:
I am leaning toward pool filter rock, will check tomorrow
Rocks and fake plants I still needed
Ammonia for first cycle
Fish!

To check the water temp, should I use a plastic strip on the glass or a glass bobber like thing?

I need a twin light fixture with lights, can anyone one point me to a website that has good prices?

Anything I am over looking?

The internal, glass thermometers are more reliable.

As long as you heater has a thermostat I dont think there should be any problem with the tank overheating. when its at the right temperature, the heater jsut won't turn on till it's dropped again. :)

yeah try and get an internal glass thermometer. the ones that stick to the side of the tank can be effected by outside air temperatures.

If you're going to get boisterous fish, don't get an internal thermometer. My cichlids regularly knock it around - they seem to think it's some kind of football.

How about lights - are you going to put lighting in the wooden hood?

gadazobe said:
If you're going to get boisterous fish, don't get an internal thermometer. My cichlids regularly knock it around - they seem to think it's some kind of football.

How about lights - are you going to put lighting in the wooden hood?
Lights, yes I have no clue what I should get.

Does the wood hood add extra heat or cause any problems?

I want the colors to come out and I would like to avoid algae....

Any help?

Thanks

Do you want a planted tank or not - if planted then you need at least 2 light fixtures running the length of the tank (how long is the tank?) If you're not thinking in that direction then you could get by with only one light. Will the tank be standing where there's natural light or in a dark corner? The wooden hood won't affect the heat too much and the glass top should minimize condensation - it's the lights that affect the heat more than the hood itself.

gadazobe said:
Do you want a planted tank or not - if planted then you need at least 2 light fixtures running the length of the tank (how long is the tank?) If you're not thinking in that direction then you could get by with only one light. Will the tank be standing where there's natural light or in a dark corner? The wooden hood won't affect the heat too much and the glass top should minimize condensation - it's the lights that affect the heat more than the hood itself.
No plants,

I didn't know if I should do twin lights or not. Just regular florescent lights? How many watts?

I have 125 Gal

Oh, and no direct sunlight hitting it, in middle of room sort of. Enough light from windows to light up the room but nor dirctly hitting or reflecting off something onto the Aquarium

Well, you could make the preparation for 2 lights just in case you ever want to change to a planted tank and in the meantime just use one of them. I can't help you regarding wattage coz I've got no idea. Your best bet is to ask your lfs what lighting you need for what you want to do. Sorry I couldn't help on this question.

Most reactions

Back