This has got to be the coolest fish!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

swammy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Ok, I have a black ghost knife. He originally was a free replacement from my LFS for a catfish that didn't survive a single night in my tank (due to the LFS mishandling). He is now my favorite fish in the tank. At first, he was very shy, and scared of any little bit of light. I was a good owner, and provided him with a nice cave to hide in....I handfed him worms by dropping them just inside the cave opening. Well...I was reading up on his species, and found that many people don't have a problem with their ghost knife fish being scared of light. Reading this, I decided to bring him out, by not putting the food in the cave for him. Took him a while, but he now swims and flits all over my tank. He is the most marvelous fish that I have ever seen (that I could possible put in my 29G tank). I love to watch him (i assume it's a him...anyone know how to tell gender?) swim all over using his under-body fin.

My topic for you all....does anyone have a massive source of information about this species of fish?? I am intrigued by him, and realize that I can only keep one at a time (sadly). I am also looking for people's stories on these fish. I read that I can teach him to eat out of my hand....he already sniffs my finger when I stick it in the tank...but he is still leary of feeding off of my hand. Anyone got any ideas to help train him? Thanks in advance for your help and stories. Hope to read your replies soon.

:bday: Happy Birthday to my wife!!!! Today she turns half of 50. Everyone congratulate her for putting up w/ me for the past 8 years!!

Is it in a 29? If it is you will need at least a 55 gallon to house him when he reaches 15 +inches. Tell your wife it is her surprise birthday treat and she can buy some fish for the tank like over 4 inches. ;)

Thanks perky, but I don't think my wife would go for that, lol. She likes my fish..but she's not too keen on the idea of taking care of em. Therefore, I don't think she would believe that i'm buying her a 55G tank (although i would love to have one). Eventually, I will want a bigger tank....and hopefully I can afford one at the time. Thx for the posts so far...and I continue to look forward to ghost knife stories....I have tried to add a picture of my ghost knife to my signature....hope i did it right (you will be able to tell after I post THIS message). If it doesn't work...here's the link :

My Ghost knife....I just love him!!!

the pic is of my ghost swimming outside his cave. Question: Is it just MY fish that swims vertically? or does anyone else's do it? the pic was taken of him swimming vertically, but I rotated it so you would see it horizontally. Anyways...enough of my posting, and let's see if this pic in my signature works.

OK, ok....fixed the stupid fish picture thingie...stupid internet is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too picky about capital letters. Turns out the reason it didn't show up is because it was like this:

http://home.nc.rr.com/adiahanpatrick/images/ghost.jpg

when it should have been like this:

http://home.nc.rr.com/adiahanpatrick/images/Ghost.jpg

How friggin dumb is that? oh well...I guess that's why i never got into web editing. Lol. Well you people have fun....enjoy the FIXED image of my fish...and please feel free to add your stories!!! after all, that's why i started this topic!!

I have black Ghosty full Grown in with my Frontosa's , Trained him to sit in my had and take raw bloodworms... man thats neat.... i have had him for 3 years now...and i throughly enjoy watchin his weird movements.... Mine also likes sinkin srimp pellets

I had a BGK.....but he died...which is a mystery.

I was amazed at watching him.....whenever he came out of his cave, you rarely saw me leave the tank. He swam vertically like yours quite often. He would come up to the top and I would give him freeze dried bloodworms as a snack inbetween meals, and I think if I'da reached to touch him, he would have let me. I agree with you, the BGK is the coolest fish....my absolute favorite. And we will get another at some point. I just couldn't get enough of him. I got a TON of enjoyment out of his $20 price tag.... :(

GrullaQuarters said:
I had a BGK.....but he died...which is a mystery.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I would be devastated if I lost mine. I love him to death, and I also payed the $20 pricetag. Not too bad a price for hours of enjoyment.

I would move him soon because he will eat your Guppies and Tetras and will die from stunting in the tank your size. I recommend a tank of about 55 gallon or 100 gallon. The 55 is a minimum and may not be big enough but a 100 would be better.

I have a clown Knife, and also follow your fasination for these wonderful creatures, I have had him for sometime now, not managed to train him to eat out of my hand, but hes out all the time, I have kept him with tetras in the past and have never had any problems with him.

They are a resonsiblity but so is every pet you own whether it be a knife or a tetra, youve def done the right thing and researched the species, so good on ya thats what i say.

(can you tell i love mine too?) :nod: :D

Ghost Knifes are cool they kinda resembles a sea lion fused with a stingray :D . I'd get one if i upgraded to a 75 Gallon. Does anyone know if they are good tankmates for Discus?

Most reactions

Back