Thinking of upgrading to a 250L tank

Snoyo1

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am really considering buying this second hand 250L tank Ive seen on the FB marketplace but I’ve also seen a 120L one and I’m not sure which one to buy. I have currently a 60L tank and I’m going to be using that one as a quarantine tank. Also I currently have 8 neon tetras, 1 corydora, 1 pleco (sucking catfish) but am thinking of getting more once I have the bigger tank established. If anyone could help and let me know if it’s really hard to maintain a 250 or 120L. Thank you!

Okay I will probably get the 250L then. Yeah I’ve actually had so much trouble keeping the water Parameters stable in my 60L and I do 1-2 water changes a week because whenever I test the water, there’s already a spike in ammonia or nitrates. Thank you for the advice.

Hey everyone. I am really considering buying this second hand 250L tank Ive seen on the FB marketplace but I’ve also seen a 120L one and I’m not sure which one to buy. I have currently a 60L tank and I’m going to be using that one as a quarantine tank. Also I currently have 8 neon tetras, 1 corydora, 1 pleco (sucking catfish) but am thinking of getting more once I have the bigger tank established. If anyone could help and let me know if it’s really hard to maintain a 250 or 120L. Thank you!

250 liter tank is good.
But you will have to use a hose to suck out dirty water and refill it with fresh water as it will be too much work if you are only using a pail to change water.

How do you change water at the moment?
You will have to DIY a hose or buy the Python water changer to change water in future.

Okay I will probably get the 250L then. Yeah I’ve actually had so much trouble keeping the water Parameters stable in my 60L and I do 1-2 water changes a week because whenever I test the water, there’s already a spike in ammonia or nitrates. Thank you for the advice.

Don't overfeed your fish and you won't have ammonia spike.
What filter are you using at the moment?
By right, you shouldn't have ammonia spike in your 60liter tank based on the fish that you mentioned.

I actually only feed one day on, one day off. I swapped my filter about 3 months ago now to an external canister filter. I think the brand name is Sunsun and its the HW-602B model. I had 2 more corydoras, but they died that's why i only have one cory. I know they are meant to be in groups but I don't want to risk another one dying and want to have the bigger tank first.

250 liter tank is good.
But you will have to use a hose to suck out dirty water and refill it with fresh water as it will be too much work if you are only using a pail to change water.

How do you change water at the moment?
You will have to DIY a hose or buy the Python water changer to change water in future.

I have at the moment the Aqua one Vac-a-tank gravel cleaner. And yeah fill a bucket and a half and get rid of that. I use aqua one water conditioner and bio enhancer for the new water. Currently i change the water 1-2 times a week so hopefully having the bigger tank will make water changes less frequent.

I have at the moment the Aqua one Vac-a-tank gravel cleaner. And yeah fill a bucket and a half and get rid of that. I use aqua one water conditioner and bio enhancer for the new water. Currently i change the water 1-2 times a week so hopefully having the bigger tank will make water changes less frequent.

Usually its advisable to change the water once a week even with big tank unless you only have very few fish.
Can you connect the Aqua gravel cleaner directly to your bathroom for direct removal of water or to your tap for refill of freshwater?

If not, you will have to get a long hose to do the water change job. You can diy the hose yourself if you know how or buy the Python water changer.
Sunsun canister should be ok but you will have to buy bigger filter when you change to bigger tank.
Don't replace the filter media unnecessarily as you will lose the beneficial bacteria.

I agree that larger tanks are easier to maintain. I use a Python and no problem getting it done fast. Sunsun are great products. :)

Last edited:
I have both a 70l and a 260l
and they are both awesome. get the bigger tank, jsut make sure the crossbars are there and there aren't any cracks. also make sure the silicon isnt flakey.

I say if its a good price, and you have room for it, then go for it! You can always set it up later, but tanks like that (that are cheap) get sold very quickly. Jump on that thing. :fish:

Usually its advisable to change the water once a week even with big tank unless you only have very few fish.
Can you connect the Aqua gravel cleaner directly to your bathroom for direct removal of water or to your tap for refill of freshwater?

If not, you will have to get a long hose to do the water change job. You can diy the hose yourself if you know how or buy the Python water changer.
Sunsun canister should be ok but you will have to buy bigger filter when you change to bigger tank.
Don't replace the filter media unnecessarily as you will lose the beneficial bacteria.
Okay thank you I will do it once a week. I will definitely look into buying the python water charger or hose. The tank I'm buying comes with the Aqua one maxi 104f. Hopefully works well. Thanks for all the advice!
I agree that larger tanks are easier to maintain. I use a Python and no problem getting it done fast. Sunsun are great products. :)
yeah I definitely want to get that python thing! Looks much easier to do then what I’m doing now anyway haha

I have both a 70l and a 260l
and they are both awesome. get the bigger tank, jsut make sure the crossbars are there and there aren't any cracks. also make sure the silicon isnt flakey.
What are the crossbars? And thank u I will check it over once I go see it on the weekend. Hopefully it’s all good! It comes with the filter and stand so it’s pretty good and for $250

What are the crossbars? And thank u I will check it over once I go see it on the weekend. Hopefully it’s all good! It comes with the filter and stand so it’s pretty good and for $250
Crossbars are supports to keep the tank from bowing under the weight of the water. If the tank does not have these do not buy it, it'll literally pop. They run across the top and bottom of the tank.

Also 250? I'd totally get it, what a steal!

Most reactions

Back