Thinking Of Setting Up 10 Gallon Nano Sw Tank

fishlover500

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon FW tank, I would like to try out SW, Hopefully one of the "cheaper" routes. What do I need??
Do I have to have coral? I know I need live rock about 1 lb/gallon. Do I need a protein skimmer or filter?

You don't have to have protein skimmers, coral, or filters on a 10g with LR. Your stocking will be limited in a tank that small though.

What do I need then? I have a heater for it, and the lighting is 2 15w incandescent lighting.

Can I fit clown fish and royal gramma fish? If yes, how many of each? Any other marine fish I can fit?

Also what do I need for CUC I like blood shrimp. Can I fit a goby as well?

So I need to:

a) take out all decor and substrate

b) remove filter

c) add live coral as substrate?

d) get hydrometer or what is it called?

e) add live rock

f) wait for a month

Dont get the coral yet as the tank will need to be cycled first.
You will also need lighting alot stronger than 2 15w incandesents for corals to survive.

I'm not planning on getting coral. I meant the substrate stuff you use in marine tanks. What is it called?

Sorry, I'm sort of new to marine

There are lots of different types of substrate available just like with freshwater.
You can get calcium based which will benifit corals, coral sand which is just large white gravel and many more.
I think what you were talking about what live sand which is good but expencive. It is sand straight from the sea and contains a bit of sea water too, its full of good bacteria to help your tank and is one of the best ways to go imo.

You do need quite a bit of water circulation (in comparison to fw) so I would keep your filter but just run it empty. That's what I did.

And also, I wouldn't be betting my money on that live sand stuff actually being alive. Sealing the sand up in a bag with very little oxygen, then subjecting it to swinging temperatures, and letting it sit on a shelf for who knows how long probably doesn't work too well if you're trying to keep it alive. I would be surprised if there was anything very alive at all in there.

As for fish, I would say no to the clowns, although many people will disagree with me. I just don't think there is enough room. The royal gramma should be fine though. I have a pearly jawfish in my 10g with about 4-5" of crushed coral/aragonite mix and no other fish. I really enjoy him. Just do some research on the fish you like.

So, I think I'll use crushed coral for substrate. Then I would like to get 1 clown fish, 1 royal gramma, 1 goby, and, if I can find one a pearly jawfish?

Could anyone recommend a complete clean up crew? Oh, I like blood shrimp too.

I think thats to many, and to big fish for the tank size. Your really looking at 2 to 3 small fish in a 10 gallon max.

what about 1 clown 1 royal gramma.

I though in the CUC i had to have shrimp too.

I also thought hermits could be mean to fish.

I think that would be pushing it. If you are set on a clown, get that and maybe a small goby. Or a royal gramma and a small goby.

You could have shrimp. In my 10g I have 2 astreas, 2 ceriths, and 3 nassarius. I also have 2 camel shrimp.

Most reactions

Back