Thinking Of Replacing The Internal Juwell Filter

plaskotki

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting rid of the internal filter in my Rio 180 and installing an external filter. I have done some reading on this forum, but I cannot decide which filter to go for (make and litres/hr). Any suggestions would be welcome.

I am thinking of getting rid of the internal filter in my Rio 180 and installing an external filter. I have done some reading on this forum, but I cannot decide which filter to go for (make and litres/hr). Any suggestions would be welcome.

tetra 1200, eheim pro 2 2026/28 are all well worth a look.

I have a jewel vision 180 and took it out for a fluval 305, best thing ive ever done. So id highly recommend 305 or above.

For "bang for the buck" features, the All Pond Solutions are attractive, with the top model (2000EF) at £75.

For the "tried and tested" a Fluval FX5 can be had new on Ebay for ~£137.

For "high tech" features the Ehei Pro 3E models start at ~£200.

For "new to market" there is the Fluval "G" series which starts at ~£300.

I have an FX5 and Eheim 2078 on my 540l and with hindsight I would have got two FX5, or tried an APS 2000EF. While the 2078 is nice with "stream mode" and alike, the function of filtration is not twice as good as an FX5.

All Pond Solutions are attractive, with the top model (2000EF) at £75

you may not need to go further. these seem an excellent filter, for the price. well, at any price really..

you may not need to go further. these seem an excellent filter, for the price. well, at any price really..
Hi Raptorex and thanks for your suggestion. I looked up the All Pond Solutions filter selection and they look great. A bit on the big side in terms of the canister but it will still fit underneath my tank. I have to look into it properly and measure it all up.
People evaluated these filters well on amazon. Now, I don't suppose I need to go for the top model (I have 180 l tank) which is for up to 1000l tanks. Would the smallest one (up to 400l) be sufficient? I know-the bigger the better, but I am just thinking running costs here. Also, how useful is to have the UV filter? The UV filter is only in the bigger filters. Please advice.

Hi Raptorex and thanks for your suggestion. I looked up the All Pond Solutions filter selection and they look great. A bit on the big side in terms of the canister but it will still fit underneath my tank. I have to look into it properly and measure it all up.
People evaluated these filters well on amazon. Now, I don't suppose I need to go for the top model (I have 180 l tank) which is for up to 1000l tanks. Would the smallest one (up to 400l) be sufficient? I know-the bigger the better, but I am just thinking running costs here. Also, how useful is to have the UV filter? The UV filter is only in the bigger filters. Please advice.

i would still go the the 2000 unit. remember theses thing flow, about, 50% of claimed, with media. running costs, after start up, will only be slightly more. I too have heard good thing about the All Pond gear. however what we cant say, at the moment, is how reliable, in the long term, they are. but "running" signs are good so far.

Hi guys, still deciding on the external filter for my rio 180. Found this filter: Eheim 2036 Ecco-Pro 300. It seems to very eco 8 watt. Has any of you got this filter? I can't find any reviews anywhere. Fluval 305 seems to be the second choice but the wattage is not mentioned anywhere. Please advice.

Hi guys, still deciding on the external filter for my rio 180. Found this filter: Eheim 2036 Ecco-Pro 300. It seems to very eco 8 watt. Has any of you got this filter? I can't find any reviews anywhere. Fluval 305 seems to be the second choice but the wattage is not mentioned anywhere. Please advice.

personally, i avoid the Ecco series, as do many others. mind you, same goes for the fluval range, stick with the All Pond item. or up the cost and buy an 2028 eheim

personally, i avoid the Ecco series, as do many others.

Why? I have the ecoo 2236 & its awsome.

they had a bad reputation, in comparison to other Ehiems, on unreliability.
i do not doubt how well it performs. however, when considering a purchase, reported, reliability must be considered. As ever, a forum search, could prove interesting.

personally, i avoid the Ecco series, as do many others.

Why? I have the ecoo 2236 & its awsome.

they had a bad reputation, in comparison to other Ehiems, on unreliability.
i do not doubt how well it performs. however, when considering a purchase, reported, reliability must be considered. As ever, a forum search, could prove interesting.

I take it all back, the #41#### thing has started making a loud humming noise today. Apparantly this is a design faultwith air getting traped above the impeller. Will be looking for a new filter today.

Most reactions

Back