Thinking Of Getting An Oscar Or 2

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Thinking of getting rid of my current stock so that I can get an Oscar or a pair and maybe some other large fish. Just wondering if I can keep any of my current stock at all or would I need to get rid of the lot.

Oscars can grow into quite large fish in a short time and to be quite honest most of the fish you already have would make a good meal for them. They would eat anything that would fit in there mouths.

I'd think good sized bala sharks would be fine, but if you have RTBSharks then i wouldnt mix them with an oscar due to the fact the rtbs usually don't get along wth red/orange fish, so unless you get an albino oscar, don't have much experiance just going bywhat i have read up on :)

Bala Sharks are about 8 inches at the moment and I have 2 full size adult angels.

General rule for oscar is 75g for one and 150g for 2 and somewhere between for 1 with tank mates. Every oscar is different and some will accept tank mates others wont.

From your current stocking those that I think might work with the oscar are the Bala Sharks, Silver Dollars and Clown Loaches - so long as they are all quite large though arguably the Bala Sharks will outgrow even a 450 liter tank due to there activity levels.

So you could try 1 oscar with the above but - if you are just interested in getting larger cichlids there are tons of other options that you could go for - one in particular if you like the oscars size and shape would be the Chocolate Cichlid quite similar but chocolates are more purple than red.

Also the RBTS thing, I would be more worried about the shark than the oscar.

Wills

i was also going to
say your getting pretty
near your stocking limit
silver shark /bala shark
can grow over 10inches easy
and silver dollars can grow
large as well and like i said
with Oscars if its small enough
to fit in its mouth it will get
eaten

i was also going to
say your getting pretty
near your stocking limit
silver shark /bala shark
can grow over 10inches easy
and silver dollars can grow
large as well and like i said
with Oscars if its small enough
to fit in its mouth it will get
eaten

I may just offload the lot then. Probably move the angels to a 125ltr tank though as they are a pair and dont really want to give them up.

I'd think good sized bala sharks would be fine, but if you have RTBSharks then i wouldnt mix them with an oscar due to the fact the rtbs usually don't get along wth red/orange fish, so unless you get an albino oscar, don't have much experiance just going bywhat i have read up on :)

I have a rtbs in with a red spot severum, you cant get much more red/orange than that :lol:. RTBS would be ok with an oscar providing you have a large one, they are fast enough to stay out of bother.

Personal experiance with oscars, get one as small as possible, they are very clever fish and almost like a dog need to be brought up well. I have a very naughty oscar that has been taught to jump for food and he is a nightmare to feed, 2 others I adopted have a wonderful nature as does the only one I actually planned on having :lol:

Most reactions

Back