Things you wish you had known

Country joe

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When I first got my first tank, I purchased live plants unknown to me they must have had snail eggs, I now get rid of about 6 per day, and I've read you will never get rid, I recently watched a video on YouTube by a lady aquarist, who has experimented with Alum a product that is cheap as chips, she found using it along with water, she gives the exact Measurements and dipping the plant for exactly 4 hours kills all snails and eggs, you then wash the plants and leave for 24 hrs in water with added Prime, and that's it, you can buy a decent size bag of Alum for £2.50.

I have learned to never say you are snail free.

I crowed about getting rid of Malaysian Burrowing Snails a few months ago, as I hadn't seen any in the 2 years since I'd moved. I thought they'd frozen out in transit.

They took that as an insult, and showed me by popping up in one of my 75s about 2 weeks after I'd said they were gone.

I learned something there.

I have had 20 year round tanks for the last 18 years or so. In the summer I set more tanks on the screened terrace, I usually do 8 tank there. When I tell strangers this they invariably ask, "Why so many?"

When I hang out with the fish nerds at my fish club or at weekend events or euctios and I tell folks how many tanks I have, they invariably ask, "Why so few?"

See my signature below ↓

I don't mind a few snails, just when they get out of control. I belong to a plant club & snails are always a possibility. I rinse them in tap water & take off my glasses to remove snail eggs & bits of java moss as best I can. In 1 or 2 tanks, I would claim to be almost snail free, but there are few MTS & ponds in 1. In the other, no plants & no snails I've ever seen. 2 tanks are java moss free (fingers crossed).

At my previous house I had ~10 tanks. It was a part time job to take care of them all. It took away some of our hobby fun for me. In my newer house I have 4 but only 3 with fish.

If removing ~6 snails/day I would consider you lucky you're able to keep them under some control. It can be so much worse, lol. Feed less, remove more!

Most reactions

Back