Thermometers

jpjagged

Reaction score
has anyone used digital thermometers vs glass vs strip type???

i have a digital and glass in my tank right now and they both read at two different temperatures... which one should i trust?
i am going off of the glass thermometer right now thinking its a safer bet... the digital is reading at 76degrees F and the glass one is reading at 85degrees F

Yeah, the stick-on-the-glass kind are a joke. They basically measure the temperature of the room your tank is sitting in...not much help.

I got a thermometer today, and i had the same desicion, i went for the glass, thought about the digi one but went for what i know and have always used. Would never buy those rubbish stick on things i agree whith nosoup4you on that one. Plus glass i cheaper than the digitel.

sorry for butting into this

but would a digital one that sits in the tank be a good choice or just the basic glass ones

which ones are best

thanks Sarah x

I have a cheap digital one for my marine tank and it seems to be pretty constant with one of the glass tubed/metal frame hang on thermometers. I use the later of the two for my large 125G...

Ox :good:

thankyou ox ;) you're a star see i want a new one so i got one in each tank had a spare glass one but was dropped and that was the end of that
mmm think i'll go ebaying now :)

take care

Sarah xx

I have 2 in my tank,a stick on one and a glass one.They're at opposite sides of the tank and are always the same as each other.They're both good.I also have a room thermometer beside my tank and my stick on one never shows room temperature.

I have serious doubts about the stick on ones. Unless the manufacturer knows the material and thickness of what you're sticking it to as well as ambient conditions in the room there's no way to make one of those things reliable. I'm sure some people have them and they work if your set up is close to the assumptions they made when the strip was designed, but they won't be that reliable.

I have two thermometers, a cheap digital coralife one and a simple "mercury" one. The coralife is probably to responsive, twitching up and down constantly. If I could I'd set it up to display a rolling average of the last half hour. The mercury one is rock steady but reads a constant two degrees higher than the digital.

The coralife is probably to responsive, twitching up and down constantly. If I could I'd set it up to display a rolling average of the last half hour.

Well if your looking for something like that, the marine world has you covered. There are quite a few different models of controllers out there and all have temp control... most would be way overkill for just a simple application, but on the low end, there are models that still have the upload capabilities of the more expensive cousins (for data collection and analyzing), but are basically self important temp and pH gauges... but very accurate. Can get one for around $200.00... so compared to the $10 coralife digi special... its a bit more

Ox :good:

Most reactions

Back