There is an issue with my Jack Dempsey's swim bladder and he cannot swim.

Misaka Baduge

Reaction score
My Jack Dempsey looks very exhausted and cannot swim. If he is left alone he will sink to the bottom and sometimes make rapid movements across the tank until he has no energy. I suspect that the cause of this is stress from either some bigger fish in the tank or from him not being able to find a good area to live under some rocks. My fish tank has gathered some algae but not excessive. He also has a couple injuries, I don't know if this is from a fish or from it's disease. He is in stable condition but I need to know how I can get him better. It is only 2 years old so age is not to blame.

My Jack Dempsey looks very exhausted and cannot swim. If he is left alone he will sink to the bottom and sometimes make rapid movements across the tank until he has no energy. I suspect that the cause of this is stress from either some bigger fish in the tank or from him not being able to find a good area to live under some rocks. My fish tank has gathered some algae but not excessive. He also has a couple injuries, I don't know if this is from a fish or from it's disease. He is in stable condition but I need to know how I can get him better. It is only 2 years old so age is not to blame.
Is his stomach swollen? Could be due to injuries, to hurt or exhausted to stay up

Pictures and video of the fish so we can see it swimming and sinking?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What other fishes are in the tank?

How long have you had the fish for?
How long has it been acting this way?

Have you added anything to the tank in the two weeks before this started?

Most reactions

Back