The plan

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm currently planning on an aquarium based on the clearwater section the Orinoco River, following the original plan. The Aqua One Horizon 130 is 92cm length, 36cm diameter and 42cm height. The filter, heater and lights will be changed, and the lights must be dimmable. I might include a cave for the ram cichlids to go in. It must be camouflaged and must not stand out however. I will try and replicate the water parameters and temperature of that area. It'll be my first attempt on building a biotope aquarium. I know that biotopes are hard to do, but I will try my best to replicate it. Wish me luck.

Fish list:

11 cardinal tetras (5 existing, 6 new)
Pair of Orinoco ram cichlids (male and female); German blue since there are no wild-caught fish in Perth aquarium stores

Total: 13 fish

Plant list:

Coontail (good alternative because Mayaca are declared pests in Western Australia)
Sagittaria subulata (may be native to the Orinoco)
Helanthium tenellum (may be native to the Orinoco)

Is this a good plan?

What species it the Orinoco ram and the blue?
If they are different species I wouldn't mix both pairs in a 3 foot tank.

What species it the Orinoco ram and the blue?
If they are different species I wouldn't mix both pairs in a 3 foot tank.
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. I call this species the Orinoco blue ram because of its range in Venezuela. More accurate than 'German blue ram' in a species sense. The 'German blue' is the name of a variety of this species. Since there are no wild-caught fish in aquarium stores, I have no choice but to get the German blue variety of the Orinoco ram cichlid.

Most reactions

Back