The Fish Are Not Eating The Shrimp.....

C27M

Reaction score
Took the opportunity when in another town to pop into the local fish store...and walked out among other things some live food for the community.....have now put the feed into the tank....and the shrimp things look a little big...up to around 3.5cm.....and the fish are not taking to much notice.........

...Have I made a mistake putting them in my tank ????

:huh:

Cheers all

I havent heard of shadow catfish but the other fish are not predators and wont be interested in eating the shrimp. You should take the shrimp out as they are actually coldwater brackish shrimps (collected from esturies around the UK) and will die and pollute the water.

I'm taking the educated guess that they are live feeder shrimp which are sold in UK fish stores for around 50p for 10.

I have managed to take them all out...I think.....felt stupid putting them in their as soon as I had done. The Shrim were pretty cheap.....got around 50 for 50p.........did a sand/gravel clean and water change at the same time.......

Cheers for your advice.....

I wish they were that cheap around here, i pay £5 for 100 every saturday :(

Do they not breed easily then? I don't know what species they are, but one of the lfs's has a 3/4 ft tank absolutely stuffed with shrimp, I assume they breed them in there.

I think they were suposed to be 5p each....but she was acting a bot keen...so i may have got a special purchase!! B)

Do they not breed easily then? I don't know what species they are, but one of the lfs's has a 3/4 ft tank absolutely stuffed with shrimp, I assume they breed them in there.

Nope, they will have been bought in by a man who nets them from the nearest estury. They go through a planktonic stage so breeding them is difficult if not impossible in a standard aquarium.

Took the opportunity when in another town to pop into the local fish store...and walked out among other things some live food for the community.....have now put the feed into the tank....and the shrimp things look a little big...up to around 3.5cm.....and the fish are not taking to much notice.........

...Have I made a mistake putting them in my tank ????

:huh:

Cheers all

You live ner me :) Where did you get them from? The only places I've seen feeder shrimps are Aurendel (however you spell it) Avieries and Jolleys in Waterlooville.

the kind of shrimp we have here are ghost shrimps
last time i got some was about 20 shrimp for 5 dollars, and they're about 1 to 2 inches long

If the feeders sold in the UK are ghosties I don't think CFC would have recommended removing them, as they are a freshwater species.

Most reactions

Back