The best fish for beginners

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 15 litre or maybe a bit bigger tank, I'm just wondering what type of fish I can keep inside it, I want fish that breed, not too many fish, but breed easily, ones that are nice to look (beautiful ones) at and are quite hardy

We added Long Tailed Zebra Danios to a new 10g tank. Not as colorful as some, but they seem hardy and they are very very active. After watching them a while I have come to appreciate their own special beauty. This has made them ideal for being in my girlfriend's son's room. We all enjoy watching them race around the tank playing amongst the decorations and plants.

Supposedly they breed pretty easy.. but we have not seen it yet nor are we all that interested in our ten gallon tank being overwhelmed with fry.

Regards,

Artuk

Fish for YOUR tank is really a matter of taste, choice and your own personal know how on how to look after them. It is dependant on how much time, money and effort you are prepared to put into your new hobby.
My personal choice that would fit your description is probably the much maligned guppy(also known as the millions fish) You will need a ratio of about 3 females to one male. They are hardy and the males are colourful and if left to their own devices will breed and breed.

The ratio works with 2 females to one male as well.

If you breed the fish, you'll have to provide accomodations for them. Are you able to do that?

Danios (zebra or leopard) and livebearers are prolific and hardy, so they might be a good choice for you.

By the way, is it a breeding tank or permanent?

I would say white cloud mountain minnows, they are very hardy little fish and can cope with alot of stuff!

If I were to choose any one of them how many would I be able to keep in, let's say a 15 gallon tank or a 25 gallon tank, or just say which fish you have found the best and tell me what conditions / equipment I will need, that will probobly be easier.

If you do everything correctly then you should not be limited by hardy fish. you should be able to chose suitable and the fish that you want. But if it came to it I would say Danios and Tetras are pretty Hardy and good for begginers as they come in many different types and are very pleasing to watch and active. ;)

Well i say guppies are a good choice but they reproduced FAST, I say 5-8 neons, or maybe a a school of Rasbora's. :thumbs:

i agree, guppies sound good for a tank like that.

as equipment goes, filter, heater, light...a substrate, thermometer...have i missed anything?

guppys, mollys, platys, mabey a cichlid (like... a small one for 15 L. which is what 5 g. or so?) tetra, or if you just want a fish to live a pleco, i dont know how u could kill it? :unsure: :D :unsure:

You said beginner fish, so it all depends on your interpretation.

If you mean for inititial cycling, then a hardy fish would be great. The same thing goes for the beginner. However, these fish might just be a "trial run" to make sure you don't make mistakes later on (cruel, isn't it). Many people decide to keep these fish because they are fun to watch and good community fish.

However, if you have a fully cycled tank and are just restricted to being a beginner, you have more choices.

Livebearers are good for these people, but then they have to deal with fry, which may be a bit out of their league. :dunno: However, going with livebearers of the same sex is a good idea.

Danios and the like are hardy fish that add excitement, but they aren't as attractive as other fish, IMO, and they may contrast with the other inhabitants.

So, in the end, it's up to you. The fish mentioned by everyone here are good to start off with (though I would stay away from neons and such until you have more experience). Choose a type you like and which you want to keep in the tank after the "test run."

Most reactions

Back